Light-O-Rama Forums

This program has performed an illegal operation...

martymiller

OK, so I had an older version of LightoRama on my show computer which is a Windows 98SE dinosaur. Downloaded the new installed for the newest version to a disc and then loaded it. Had several issues getting it to load once I finished the Install Wizard. Finally deleted all old versions and then reinstalled it again. Now I'm getting the "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." error.

Any ideas? I cannot connect to the internet from the show computer just as an FYI. Thanks!

You cannot connect to the internet from the computer at all, or you would have to move the computer somewhere else so you could hook it into an ethernet port?

I am asking because I would suggest making sure that your computer is completely up to date using Windows Update.

When exactly do you get the "illegal operation" message?

I cannot connect to the internet from this computer at all. I get the internet to my laptop via a Verizon aircard which is not compatible with the dinosaur. Is there anyway to download a Windows update file and then transfer it via CD to the dinosaur?

I get the error immediately upon loading, it won't let me into anything. I am trying to load the Seqence Editor to be specific.

Bob,

Do you really think that windows will have an on-line update supporting W98SE? I would have thought that support for this OS was put to bed about a decade ago. As LOR has evolved and became more powerful. I would assume that maybe w98SE is no longer capable of running the program. Just what is the minumum system requirements to run LOR?

Max-Paul,

It's almost a mute point b/c as I said, I cannot connect this computer to the internet. I would need to download the update as a separate document and I'm not sure Windows provides for that.

I do need to know as soon as possible if LOR 2.6.0 will work on Windows 98 SE. If not, I need to either look at upgrading the operating system on this computer (if the hard drive will allow for it) or purchase a new computer to run the show on. Please let me know ASAP! Thanks guys,

Marty

Microsoft stopped publishing new updates for 98SE a few years ago, but the last I checked, you could still get the existing updates via Windows Update. It's been a while since I checked, though. And I have no idea how to get them if you don't have an internet connection.

LOR 2 does work on 98SE. Why it is not working on your particular machine, I don't know, but the fact that it is 98SE is not enough to say that it won't.

Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling?

If there's more than one "Light-O-Rama" entry listed in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall them all. Don't worry if some of them tell you things like "can't delete file because it doesn't exist".

After all Light-O-Rama entries have been removed, reboot. Then reinstall. But when you reinstall, don't first install any earlier version of LOR - just go straight to the installer of the version that you want to use. It shouldn't hurt to install earlier versions first, but there's no reason to do it, and since you're having some kind of strange problem, I explicitly recommend not to do it, so that things are kept as simple as possible.

I had the same problem loading S2 last year. You should have SP2 installed and update to at least Windows Media Player 9.0. the WMP stopped my Fatal Error problem cold.

Edit to addL my show machine OS is Win98 with SP2.

Yes, if you have an old-style WMP installed (such as version 6, which came installed on some or perhaps even all versions of Windows 98), LOR 2 won't work. I didn't know that it would give this error, but it definitely won't work.

I'm not sure how you can upgrade WMP without an internet connection, but perhaps Microsoft has some way of downloading a standalone upgrader, which you can then transfer to your Windows 98 PC manually (via CD or floppy or whatever).