Light-O-Rama Forums

Couple of kit questions

Guest guest

1. JO jumper - 16 pin header. With the Deluxe kit do I need a jumper at all?

2. Voltage regulator. Mine sits almost flat. Is this something to worry about? The instructions say it should be 1/4 in from the board.

3. What is thermal compound for and does it need to be used on heavy duty heatsinks.

4. NEU jumper and HOT jumper at bottom center of board. I'm not gettin it. What am I jumping?

5. On my triacs I did'nt let solder flow through to the other side like it says in the instructions. Should I resolder or better yet add solder?

MY kit is totally complete - heat sinks and all. I have this problem in that I never pay close attention to instructions until I'm done with a project.

Jeff,

I can answer 3 & 4 for you but will let someone else more knowledgeabe do the others. Thermal compound, yes you need it. It helps transfer the heat to the heat sink. Jumpers in the center of the board are addressed in the operating manual (not the assembly instructions) located on the LOR site. Basically, if you use only one power plug, you attach it to the right half of the board and place jumpers to get power to the other 8 channels. This limits the amperage that you can use though. Do not use the jumpers if you are using separate power plugs to each half of the board. As for the other questions, I would guess that if it wasn't required, Dan and company would not have put it in the instructions.

Denny

1. You do not need J0 jumper if you have a Deluxe kit

2. Voltage regulator is OK

3. Already answered

4. Already answered

5. There are three pins on the triac. Do not worry about the center pin and the pin that is close to the resistor that goes to the triac. The other pin should have solder flow on both sides of the board.

Also if you did not get good flow on the triacs you probably did not get flow on the 40 pin header on the bottom of the card. It is hard to tell if you got good flow because you cannot see the other side. The 8 outside pins on either side where the outputs for channels 1-8 and 9-16are the most important. You can put a 40 watt iron on them and hold it for about 5 seconds (after the solder melts)... You should see the solder pool "drop" into the hole as an indication that you have kept the iron on long enough.