Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY kit help

Guest guest

Ok, I got my kits put together and I got the flashing LED light with power, then I connected it to the computer and got the light to stay on steady, but when I run the hardware and refresh it, it finds no unit. I am at a lose here and need some guidance.

I still have one unit that keeps flashing

Hi,

Additional information from cghargis in a PM received a while ago. I will post it here so others may benefit.

[sTART INSERT] Dan,

Ok, here is what I have. I have two boards that will get a solid light when connected and Hardware utility is run, but neither show up as a found unit. The 3rd board keeps flashing. It flashes several times quickly, then one loner flash, then repeats. I have rechecked the soldering and it looks good, nothing missed. I am running the deluxe board by the way.[END INSERT]

There are two things happening here. First there is the unit with LED that is flashing fast and does not stop flashing. The pattern of LED flashes is what you would expect to see in the Unit ID is "00"... So the parts that should be checked are the rotary dip switches (that you set the unit ID on) as well as the chip and sip resistor that are next to them.... Make sure those parts are in place with the correct orientations.

With the power off, set the Unit ID to "0F" see if the led starts blinking normal. If so then there is an issue with the second dip switch (the one set to "F")... If "0F" continues to give you a fast blink try "1F"... If "1F" gives you a fast blink then then also double check all the pins on the processor chip's socket.

-------

Second problem with the communications... Because the LED stops blinking when attached to the PC that is an indication that communication from the PC to the controller is working.

However you cannot see the unit in the hardware utility so two things are possible. One is that communication from the Controller to the PC is not working OR the controller does not know who it is (does not know its' Unit ID) so it does not respond to the PC when it is addressed.

My guess is that you have set the Unit IDs to something like "01" or "02".... If not you will not find them.

One way to check and see if the Unit ID is the problem is to use the Auto Configure in the Hardware Utility. With the Unit attached, wait until the LED goes steady and then click the Auto Configure button. If the Hardware Utility responds "Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama Port" then we most likely the there is a communication problem in the direction of ( Controller to PC).... If the response is that the "Light-O-Rama port is located" then the problem is not a communication problem. The problem in that case is that the controllers do not know their Unit IDs and we have a problem similar to the other issue.

Lets take these steps and see where we get.

Ok, here is some more info for you. I have a good connection between the comm port and my existing controllers (1602s). So, that answers that question. However, I ran the auto configure again just to make sure, and it found comm port 1 again.

The controller that is flashing fast, goes solid when I set the dials to 0F. Everything seems to be in the right orientation. I checked that again against the instructions to make sure. Sounds like the dials may be bad then?

Should I remove the dials and the chip and then try to assign an id to it?

cghargis wrote:

Ok, here is some more info for you. I have a good connection between the comm port and my existing controllers (1602s). So, that answers that question. However, I ran the auto configure again just to make sure, and it found comm port 1 again.

The controller that is flashing fast, goes solid when I set the dials to 0F. Everything seems to be in the right orientation. I checked that again against the instructions to make sure. Sounds like the dials may be bad then?

Should I remove the dials and the chip and then try to assign an id to it?

The two controllers where the LED goes steady. Connect them one at a time to the PC and ONLY ONE CONTROLLER connected at a time. With each of those two controllers connected use the "Auto Configure" and see if it finds PORT 1.

The other unit "that goes steady with "0F" "... I do not think that it is a dial... I have seen only one ( out of many many 1000s ) that was not good. I would quickly touch each of the solder joints on every pin in that area.

I do want to confirm that you have your Unit IDs set to "01" during testing.

All controllers are being tested one at a time, and all are set to 01. Comm port 1 is found pretty fast trying the auto configure. Still get the found 0 controllers when I hit refresh.

The flashing controller does not find a port when I run auto with it attached.

I will try to hit the solder on each of those points on the dials.

New update.

I have found 1 of the boards now, so I am down two. I guess that is better than being down all three huh? Will keep trying different things until I give up or succeed.

By the way, the one I found shows up as 03 - CTB16D ver 3.0 even though it is set to 01

No luck with the other two as of now, calling it a night.

if you have a board that will not stop flashing, check the orientation of the microprocessor, i accidentally put it in facing the wrong direction and the led would continually flash

bob

Nope, that isn't it. Double checked all of those already, they go the way the instructions say.

But thanks anyway, never know if your solution is the one that could work until you through it out there.

Chris

cghargis wrote:

New update.

I have found 1 of the boards now, so I am down two. I guess that is better than being down all three huh? Will keep trying different things until I give up or succeed.

By the way, the one I found shows up as 03 - CTB16D ver 3.0 even though it is set to 01

No luck with the other two as of now, calling it a night.

If you have one controller attached to the PC and the Auto Configure works BUT the refresh comes back with (0 Units found) then for some reason you are having problems with the UNIT ID selection. The reason you are not finding the units is that they think that they have a UNIT ID that is out of range of Unit IDs being checked for when you click Refresh.

The refresh command will looks for units one at a time. It starts at 01 and goes up to what ever the "Maximum Units" is set to in the Hardware Utility. Set the Maximum Units to (240) which is the largest value allowed. Then do a refresh... It will take a while because it is searching for lots of units that do not exist in the network.

Ok, moving it up to 240 resulted in a second find with an id of CC - CTB16D ver 3.0. Still no luck with the board that flashes fast, and the board it is finding now are not being found with the id I am assigning them. Anyway to change/fix that?

So now I have 2 units being found with one still not out there.

Yep, checked that against the instructions and the pictures. We are making progress on this, it is just slow progress. Hard to trouble shoot something here, not like having it in your shop to work it.

Thanks for the possibility. I certainly appreciate all the ideas to try, never know, someone may just come across the fix.

Chris

• 2 months later...

The solution to my problem was Dan. I sent my boards to his folks and they got them all working just fine. They sent them all back to me with a note on each one to describe the problem. Most of them were bad soldering on my part. Dan said I could have avoided that if I had a magnifying light to work with. I think I had one item oriented the wrong way and just kept overlooking it (about 1,000 times). Dan hooked me up and got me running, so now I am as happy as a kid in a candy store with an unlimited budget.

:waycool: