Light-O-Rama Forums

My new LOR Controller Cart

Guest guest

I've been working all day on my new design and creation (drum roll please!)...

The LOR "Controller Cart"... :waycool:

It's a double-sided wooden cart that will hold a maximum of 16 controllers, 8 on each side (256 channels total). The wires for the controllers on the top row will go inside and behind the controllers on the bottom row...It will be located inside my garage where I'll have the rest of my set up for the display...It's about 48" square, give or take an inch...

I still have a lot more to work on, but I made it this far in one day...So I'll pick up on it again tomorrow. I've got some ideas and parts for cable management, ground wire terminal strips, and am working on a design for some covers (maybe plexiglass) that will go over the controllers when they are operational for safety purposes.

After the lighting season, I'll be able to roll it over to a storage area in my garage and put a cover on the whole thing for storage...

Lots of channels, lots of flexibility, wires, etc.

So how do you like my new creation, the LOR Controller Cart?

Randy

Attached files 55879=3318-Controller Cart2.jpg

that looks great i have also have been working on something similar for about a week now... mine will not be moveable it weighs about 250 pounds so far... it will hold the breaker box and the twenty ctb16d kits i ordered on the save ten (hopefully they will arrive soon.... i still have to make the doors and the roof for this enclosure

also the backside is going to double as a projector screen for videos that will be playing it is a perfect widescreen size!

here are some pics

Attached files 56003=3323-image_00001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i have built a sign type thing with legs its about 1 feet off the ground its ugly but works.

And this is what i will do to it its in my bedroom and cords will come out of the window but the down fall from all of this it gets very cold up here.

Hi Jerry,

I live in Tierrasanta, and this will be my first year of building a display. I'm going whole-hog and hope I have enough time to complete everything...

This weekend I'll be working on 25' of small arches for the driveway. I bought some brackets from Dave at Westhaven and will be adapting them to use concrete blocks to hold them down with the PVC....

It'd be fun to have you come over and check out my stuff...You can PM me for more information.

Thanks, Randy

It'll be right inside my main garage door and the display will be right outside in the front of the house, driveways, and yard.

I'm stocked up with Action Lighting SPT2 cord and vampire plugs and ready to go!!!

Randy

Two thoughts:

(1) Have you considered the weight of all of the cords coming from so many channels? Others have noted that when they use long cords from a single unit, it gets hard to lift. Something to think about.

(2) Do you have plans to shield/cover the cards when they are in use? You will have 120v open to anyone walking by to come in contact with. Yes, nobody would ever touch the cards intentionally but, think about someone who trips, puts their hand out to catch themselves and comes in contact with 120v. Something else to think about.

Other than that, the cart looks like a handy idea.

Roger.

Looks like with wheels he won't be carrying it any where. He did mention plexiglass covers for when it is being operated, so it looks like he has that covered also.

That will be a heck of a lot of power cords coming off going to outlets. Are you going to hard wire them into a circuit, or put 32 plugs on it and plug them into outlets?

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last posting, I've done some more work on the Cart...

* Wired up all 16 controllers
* Total of 256 output power cords with strain reliefs
* Total of 16 input power cords with jumpers on each controller
* Loads on each controller are such that two controllers will fit on one 20 amp circuit, except for one controller more highly loaded that needs its own circuit
* Total of nine 20 amp circuits are needed, 6 completed, 3 to go
* Short Ethernet jumpers connect each controller together
* Tested each of the controllers with real lamp loads
* Just found one bad controller - returned for repair
* The weight of the cart has increased with the cords, but the wheels are able to handle the load.
* Still easy to manuver around the garage for storage after use
* Still thinking about covers to shield the boards
* All systems go at this point...

Attached is an updated photo...

Randy

Attached files 60925=3698-Controller Cart6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I hear ya! That would be a heartbreaker with all the controllers and my hard work if someone rolled it away. But it will be in the garage all locked up during the lighting season....

Maybe I should come up with LOR Controller Cart Lojack or a special "Club" to secure it !! Ha!

Randy