Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with Show Editor

jim6918

I am really confused with the Show Editor and its many functions. The killer is I can't test anything until I finish hanging lights and connecting to controllers.

I have a number of musical sequences (14) that I have divided into 4 different shows that I want to play on consecutive nights; only one show per night. I want the show to repeat over and over from start time (6PM) until end time (11PM).

This is what I had envisioned as a “show”:

Starting at 6PM, all 80 channels come on steady at 100% for a couple of minutes, no audio. Then I have THX sequence, followed by a voice over shimmering lights introduction. Everything off for a few seconds, then first musical sequence starts, followed by remaining sequences. Lights would go black for a few seconds in between sequences. I would like all lights and audio to go out for about a minute or so after last sequence to give cars a chance to leave for turn over sake. Then the whole thing starts again until 11PM.

At this point I placed all of the above under the Musical button thinking that since everything repeats (loops) and I don’t have a true startup or shutdown it would be sufficient for what I am planning, but then there is a background button, animation, etc that I don’t really think pertains to my plan.

Am I on the right track?

Also, why does the Show Editor ask me if I want to save every time I try to close, even though I haven’t made any changes?

Sounds like you're on the right track. Start up and shutdown would only play at the beginning and end of the time frame scheduled if I remember correctly. But it sounds like you want your opening to play throughout the time specified. Put everything in the musical section in the order you wish for them to play. Just be sure to have "play in order" checked and not random. You will need to create a sequence to play after your last musical sequence that tells the lights to stay off for the amount of time you'd like.

Your pointed in the right direction, now to get you on the tracks....

For the start up, you need to have two sequences, an animation for all channels on, then a musical sequence for the THX. You will place this in the start up tab on the show editor. From there, place the rest of sequences on the musical tab. For the clearing sequence, just make an animation sequence with nothing on for the desired time. Place this as your last sequence in the musical tab (when you go to add, click on the drop down box that says musical sequences to add the animation.)

I think this is what you are looking for.

Do this for each of your 4 shows and schedule accordingly.

Thanks for replies. I have whipped out some sequences to accomodate your suggestions. A steady burning sequence (20 seconds, no music) to open before the THX intro. It appears from the LOR Help file, that you can specify an optional time delay between songs. I haven't loooked at that option yet, but just in case also created a short (5 seconds) sequence, all lights off for in between music sequences should I need it. There is a 30 second all lights off sequence, no music to end the show, then whole thing repeats.

Both of your replies seem to indicate that I can put everything under the Musical tab, even though there may not be an audio track associated with the sequence. Is this correct?

Questions for opinions:

Is 5 seconds between sequences too short, too long?

Finally, any idea about the request to Save File, even though I haven't changed anything?

jim6918 wrote:

Both of your replies seem to indicate that I can put everything under the Musical tab, even though there may not be an audio track associated with the sequence. Is this correct?

Yes. You will need to select file type in the drop down menu.

Is 5 seconds between sequences too short, too long?

Personal preferrence. Should be ok.

My preference. I think you may find that delay between songs too long. You can judge when you run the show. It's easy enough to tweek.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am thoroughly confused by the Show Editor and how it works.

Can I assume the following?

1) It only schedules one full week, and that week schedule is used for EVERY WEEK that LOR is ENABLED? (IE 11/26/09 thru 1/1/10)

My question is then, what if I want to change individual days ( ie Christmas Eve and New Years Eve) to run different shows? When I click on that date on the calender to edit that day, nothing seems to happen. There is nothing scheduled for that week (I thought the schedule I created in the Simple Show Builder would be there), so all I thought I would have to do is click on a certain date (Ie 12/24/09) and edit the show(s) created by the Simple Show Builder.

And is there a way too GLOBALLY change the times? It seems if you use the SSB you only have 3 options, and if you don't like those options, you then have to go into EACH show that is scheduled and edit them individually? From the SSB, I chose the Every Half Hour option, when in reality the show will run only 20 minutes...then I need 10 minutes of static display. Do I need to create a 10 min Animation and include that in my show so I have a full 30 minutes?

On a separate note, it would be nice if the "Days of the Week" (Sun thru Sat) would not scroll off the screen when you scroll down to the later times...and could they have made the scroll bar any skinnier??? LOL

I'm rambling...I'm frustrated...

Just when I thought I had this figured out, I read this thread and I do not think I do now. :? Oh well at least I have 3days to get it.

EDIT: Oops, forgot mine is simple, four shows an hour from 600 to 1100. No start up ,no ending. Lights on, lights off. Whatever time between is from leftover time from previous show. I hope.

Sorry if this is redundant but,

OK 4 shows under 15 minutes

Show A 6pm to 1030pm Song,animation, song,anim,song, anim,song

Show B 6:15 to 1030 pm Same as above

Show C 6;30 to 1030 Same

Show D 6:45 to 1030 Same as above

Nothing at end of each show, just time so people can move.

Will this work??

Pete,

Not sure why you would want 4 shows an hour. Why not just build 1 show an hour? In any event, 4 an hour would look like:

6:00 to 6:15 show A
6:15 to 6:30 show B
6:30 to 6:45 show C
6:45 to 7:00 show D

7:00 to 7:15 show A
etc.

This would be way too much time in the schedule editor for me.

Mine consists of 3 shows. Static, animated, overnight. My animated show does contain one startup, the THX robot. This is mostly for me :cool:. My schedule editor looks like this:
5 to 6 Static
6 to 10 (11 on Friday and Saturday) animated
10 to 12 Static
12 to 5 Overnight (this is just a few elements such as my mega star, a few snowflakes, etc).

What I really meant was 4 sequences every 15 minutes with about one minute after those 4 and then four more for a total of 4 times, different types of music in each one. I thought that making four "shows" was the easiest

EDIT I would make each show start at 15 min intervals from 600-1030 and repeat every hour

EDIT Again. Maybe the one show is the way to go. Just and blanks in between "sets"

Brian Mitchell wrote:

My preference. I think you may find that delay between songs too long. You can judge when you run the show. It's easy enough to tweek.

Brian you were right of course. Five seconds between songs seemed like an eternity standing out side watching the show run. I cut it down to 3 seconds, and might try 2 before I get too far into the season.

jimswinder wrote:

I too am thoroughly confused by the Show Editor and how it works.

Can I assume the following?

1) It only schedules one full week, and that week schedule is used for EVERY WEEK that LOR is ENABLED? (IE 11/26/09 thru 1/1/10)

My question is then, what if I want to change individual days ( ie Christmas Eve and New Years Eve) to run different shows? When I click on that date on the calender to edit that day, nothing seems to happen. There is nothing scheduled for that week (I thought the schedule I created in the Simple Show Builder would be there), so all I thought I would have to do is click on a certain date (Ie 12/24/09) and edit the show(s) created by the Simple Show Builder.

And is there a way too GLOBALLY change the times? It seems if you use the SSB you only have 3 options, and if you don't like those options, you then have to go into EACH show that is scheduled and edit them individually? From the SSB, I chose the Every Half Hour option, when in reality the show will run only 20 minutes...then I need 10 minutes of static display. Do I need to create a 10 min Animation and include that in my show so I have a full 30 minutes?

On a separate note, it would be nice if the "Days of the Week" (Sun thru Sat) would not scroll off the screen when you scroll down to the later times...and could they have made the scroll bar any skinnier??? LOL

I'm rambling...I'm frustrated...

I used the Schedule Editor rather than the SSB, which was too simple for my needs. Once you get into the Schedule Editor, is is pretty easy, especially doing repetitive stuff. I used the Calendar view as opposed to the Week view. Click on the day on the calendar you want to add, click Add, locate and add the LSS file for the particular show you want to add, set the start and end time (which can be modified down to the minute and second), click ADD, and make sure you click on the Save button. You will then see the scheduled show in the pull down time chart on the right side of the window. Then go to the next day you want to add, etc. You can edit a previousl set show time, by clicking on the date, pull down the time scale until you find you scheduled show, right clicking on the show box and edit as necessary.

I don't think there is any way to "Globally" change start and end times.

It sounds like you want to run your show very similar to the way I do mine.

I run about an 8 or so minute show on each quarter hour. Then I have music and mostly static lights for 7 minutes. My static sequence is kind of a teaser sequence as it slowly fades my house between five colors and all the props will perform little teasers. Also the music during the breaks is different all night so I've made up 20 small shows with 2 or 3 songs and voiceovers in them. Then I have 8 different main shows that I rotate mixing up my dozen or so animated songs. The scheduler is a mess but the runs pretty slick and I dont hear the same couple songs over and over all night.

The schedule looks something like this

500-508 show A

508-515 music 1

515-523 show b

523-530 music 2

530-538 show C

538-545 music 3

etc.....

OK, But can I set up 4 shows say check each show to start at 600 615 630 645 and check run every hour?Show one would start at 600 end at 613 and 615 show 2 would start and run for 13 min and so on, or am I just not getting the concept here?? I hope I don't sound to dumb, but I thought if I did that it would work.

Thanks all!

jim6918 wrote:

Five seconds between songs seemed like an eternity standing out side watching the show run. I cut it down to 3 seconds, and might try 2 before I get too far into the season.

Why not save some time and aggravation and try it with zero time between sequences instead of working your way down a couple seconds at a time? You might like it. Even with no programmed pause between sequences, there's still a few seconds while one file closes and the next opens and playback commences. For me this is all the time I want between songs. You're right - after the action of one song ends it does seem like a loooooonnnnnng time in between. Or maybe it just seems so long to us because - unlike our audience - we know what's coming next...

shfr26 wrote:

I think that I will just go with Daves idea and run 1 show, Maybe I'll mess with the other idea at a later point.

The simplest of all schedules is to have one show per night that runs in a continuous loop between your start and end times. That's pretty much how I ran things last year at first.

The second simplest setup is to have one show that loops early in the evening and a different show that loops later in the evening. That's what I did last year after I started figuring out the show editor a little better. My early show ran from 5:30 until 8 and was 70% Christmas music and 30% rock / TV themes / etc. My late show ran from 8 until 10 and was 60% rock and 40% Christmas.

At first I wanted to try a schedule like you're contemplating and quickly decided it was too complex for the time or patience I had left to spend on it after almost a year of sequencing. And then, after abandoning the idea of a schedule as tight as a radio station's', I realized it really didn't make any difference at all to the people out front watching the lights.

George Simmons wrote:

The simplest of all schedules is to have one show per night that runs in a continuous loop between your start and end times. That's pretty much how I ran things last year at first.

The problem I have with that is the availability of parking. I am on a very busy street and I want one crowd to exit to make room for the next. If the show is in a continuous loop, there is no break for the people to disperse...there would ALWAYS be people there. It would be a traffic nightmare. So I want 10 minutes of a static display at the end of each show...with a show every 1/2 hour.

Depending on how many songs you have you could always do a three or four song show. That might be the smoothest method of all in insuring quick turnover. No matter where during a show someone arrives, when the same song repeats, most people will move along believing they've seen everything. If you've got a whole bunch of songs then you can make a few different shows and have each one play for an hour and a half or two hours. Or play the same three or four songs all night and then tomorrow substitute different songs.