Light-O-Rama Forums

Wireless Transmitters

Guest guest

Ok I am lost a little. I see the easy light linking units on LOR website but those seem to be the receivers. Where are the ones that connect to the PC or does nothing connect to the PC and you just connect the receivers to the boards? Trying to place my wish list to use at the park this year. :]

You have to get from the computer the first controller somehow.

RS232 to SC485 converter ---> Cat5/Phone cable --> First controller

RS232 to SC485 converter ---> Cat5/Phone cable ---> ELL (Note, your first controller has an ELL attached as well.)

USB to RS485 ---> Cat5/Phone cable ---> First controller

USB to RS485 ---> Cat5/Phone cable ---> ELL (Note, your first controller has an ELL attached as well.)

Ahh..so if I want to put the computer inside a building, I still have to run a cat5 cable out of it somehow to the first controller. I was hoping I could run a cable to the wireless transmitter and then the ELL receives it outside at the first controller. Hmm.. now got to figure out how I am going to run a cord out the building.

Brad Caudill wrote:

Ahh..so if I want to put the computer inside a building, I still have to run a cat5 cable out of it somehow to the first controller. I was hoping I could run a cable to the wireless transmitter and then the ELL receives it outside at the first controller. Hmm.. now got to figure out how I am going to run a cord out the building.

Nope.

Computer -> Converter -> Cat5 -> ELL (all of this is inside.)

Now, outside you have

ELL -> Cat5 - Controller

No need to run a cable to the outside of the building. Simply hook up an ELL unit to your PC, and one to the first controller and you are set. (If you are going to be 100% wireless, you need an ELL on each controller.)

You da man Don. That is exactly what I needed to know and how I thought it must work but was not sure. Now I am a happy camper. I wish we could go 100% wireless but not really needed. We got a building and then using a huge field beside it to put up our "dancing trees".

Since you would have to run a Cat5E between the ELL and controller, chances are they would be in the smae box, is it possible, Dan, to sell 1-2ft Cat5E cables?

Zac

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Since you would have to run a Cat5E between the ELL and controller, chances are they would be in the smae box, is it possible, Dan, to sell 1-2ft Cat5E cables?
Each Easy Light Linker (ELL) comes with a 10ft CAT5E cable. It is best to try and mount the ELL up off the ground a bit for best performance....