Light-O-Rama Forums

Acceptable time to put up lights?

Guest guest

Being a first year newbie here, when will everyone begin putting up their LOR controlled Christmas displays this year? I was thinking begining November. Is this too early or not early enough.

(Yes, I know it's only July, lol)

Thanks,

Luke

i usually start the weekend before thanksgiving.. but since i have alot more lights this year i am going start the 1st of november so i can test all my sequences and get all the bugs worked out and make any changes if necessary.. I guess i really depends on how many lights you have and what part of the country you live in...:laughing:

I will start around the 2nd week in Nov. I'm not sure when I will turn everything on.

Maybe the day after Thanksgiving or maybe the 1st week in Dec. I will have around 30-35k of lights and 16 channels of LOR.

50k and 96 channels, and planning on starting the first weekend of Nov. or the last weekend of Oct. Plus my father-in-law decided to order 32 channels so I am sure I will end up helping him put lights up also.

Jeff_Womack wrote:

This year I will start around 1 Oct

I agree with Jeff. I'll probably start then as this is the first time I'll be running all this wire. I'd really like to be able to turn it on the day after Thanksgiving. I can't wait!!!!:laughing:

jeff

I will start on the roof the third week of Oct. Then just keep adding from there. I usually take my first week vacation starting the Friday before Thanksgiving and have everything ready for testing Thanksgiving night. Keep in mind that I start at dawn and finish after dark for about 10 days straight.

I start putting up the weekend before Thanksgiving, with a schedule turn on date of the Friday following Thanksgiving. Fortunately for me, I have kids home from college around that time so I can press as many as is needed into service to meet the schedule.

Last season for take down, a major rain storm was forecast and by the looks of things the storm was going to come. I had all 7 family members start removing motifs and wires in the AM. We had the entire display INSIDE within 5 hours, just as it started to mist out. Over the following week, I decided which motifs need repair/bulb replacement and which can get boxed and go into storage.

I have a personal preference to start putting up on Thanksgiving Day. It keeps me busy and I don't think about the experiences of a dysfunctional Thanksgiving....:?.

When you start depends (IMHO) on two things - first how many lights you have to put up, and two, how organized you are. Organization is absolutely key to getting this stuff up - and more important than that takeing it down. If you have your lights in a tangled mess, start last week. If you were asked where a specific item is, and you can find it in less than 2 minutes - then you can start later. The later you wait, the more pressure you have to get it all done today.

At my old house I put up 10K on Thanksgiving Day, and still had time to go to Steak & Ale for Thanksgiving dinner. The new house is still developing its design and installation procedures.

Ken Mays
Lewisville, TX

I start putting up lights 2 Friday's before Thanksgiving. I take the full week prior to Thanksgiving (13-17th, this year) off to work on them. Start date this year is Nov. 10.

Last year I had everything ready to go a week before Thanksgiving, which gave me plenty of time to test things out.

I will start putting up Christmas as soon as Halloween is torn down and put away. As Ken Mays said, organization is the key issue. While Halloween is up and running, I'll start staging the Christmas blow molds (removal from storage, cleaning, and retesting bulbs), start re-testing the lights, check and recheck everything that's going out. I'm working on my schematic as to what is going where, which channels will control what, and which circuits will be used. The more work you do now, the easier your set up and deployment will be.

Now, with that being said, I'm sure no matter what I do, I'll change my mind at the last minute and ad lib a bunch of it! :waycool: