Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it Necessary to Delete unused Channels?

jim6918

I have about 6 unused channels out of 80. When I run the Verify, I get a butt load of warnings that I have channels that are turned off. I really didn't want to delete any unused channels from my configuration, just in case I find a bad channel amongst the ones in use and need to quickly swap plugs around. Would it be better if I programmed something in each channel anyway, even though nothing is plugged in? Will the warning cause any other issues during the actual running of the shows?

Jim,

Last year there were a number of people that had problems with their shows and it turned out being that they had channels that were not completely configured. If your channels are complete configured, defined as a lor controller with unit and channel then you should not have a problem with running.

Matter of fact, I have a few within my 160 that are not used.

Chuck

Yes, they are built into configuration, just not named or anything sequenced into them. If you think it makes any difference, I could just go back thru sequences and turn them all on.

They should not cause any problems as they are, you can just consider those messages to be warnings, so that you can assess if you have any channels you really forgot to sequence.

Last year you were OK if you had a channel completely undefined, with no hardware type selected, or if you had the channel fully defined, with type LOR, Unit ID, and channel. Having a channel set to type LOR, without the unit ID, or without the channel ID would cause the control panel to hang mid show.

It's not necessary to delete them; it's just warning you in case you meant to put something on those channels.

However, if you want to keep the channels rather than deleting them, there's a better way to get the Verifier to stop complaining (rather than turning those unused channels on):

Right-click on one of these messages that the Verifier puts out. It will give you a couple options: something like "Ignore this result" and "Ignore all results with message number 28".

So, the idea is that after the Verifier tells you that there's an unused channel, you check that sequence, and see whether that channel should be unused or not. If not, you add your events to it, or delete the channel, or whatever. But if you've determined that it's OK that that channel is unused, then you tell the Verifier "Ignore this result".

The next time that you run the Verifier, it won't complain about that channel being unused, for that particular sequence.

It will, however, still complain about other channels that are completely off - but then you could just "Ignore this result" those too (assuming that you've determined that it's OK that they're off).

Or, if you just don't care at all about your channels being completely off, you can "Ignore all results with message number 28", and in the future, the Verifier will never warn you about any channel that is completely off.

Later, if you change your mind, you can go to the "Ignored Results" tab, where all of these will be listed. And if you want, you can right-click on them there, and you'll be given the option to stop ignoring them.

All of this "ignore" sort of thing can be done with any Verifier message, not just this particular "channel is completely off" message.

Thanks for all the replies. I really like the Verifier. It caught two channel conflicts where I had two channels configured to two other unnamed channels. Probably would have caused big conflict when that sequence ran. Highly suggest everybody uses it before the Big Shew.