Light-O-Rama Forums

1 Down, 2 to Go!

Guest guest

I recieved my SAVE10 order (placed around 6:00 AM the 1st day of the sale) yesterday!

It took me about 2 3/4 hours to solder the first one together. I had to test it out so I hooked some power up, added two strands of lights, hooked it up to my computer and saw blinking, fading, shimmering lights!

Now I have 2 more to put together.

I found the instructions very easy to follow. Once I get my other two boards done I will have to work on my enclosures (thinking of using the rubbermaid route).

It is truly Christmas in July!

Jeff

Since I mentioned I'm looking at the rubbermaid option, how many others here have done that? I'm still a little worried about it but wanted to make sure someone else has tried it with success.

I really like the enclosures I've seen that use "outlets" instead of pigtails. I may make my own box out of wood.

Comments?

Due to lack of response, I'm assuming no one has tried the rubbermaid method.

I have one that I'm going to finish up using the rubbermaid method but it will be an indoor unit. The other two will be outdoor some I'm going to try something a little different (probably wood).

I got my kits yesterday and I assembled one last night. I used the foam "filler" sheets that were in the box as the table top cushion, but I covered one with a paper towel. I started with the low components first (resistors, diodes), then worked my way "up" in height. The paper towel also doubles as a "hold me in" helper as you insert the parts and flip the board over to solder. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to do the first one. The trick is to build up in height, so the new loose components at the ones pushing on the foam mat. Do not forget to use the paper towel - the heat of soldering will melt the foam and cause it to stick to the component leads.