Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Power Issue

Guest guest

Hi,

I thought I would ask this question here rather than direct to Dan & crew, as any answers may be useful to others.

I'm trying out various configurations of my new LOR "toys" one of which entails powering both the DC-MP3 director AND an Easy Light Linker from one CTB16DV5 controller. All runs fine but the 9v DC regulator on the 16D gets mighty hot. The LOR WiKi says here that this configuration is fine but I'm a little apprehensive if the 16D has to run like this for prolonged periods during the season.

Anyone any thoughts?

Martin

How hot is hot? Can you touch it?

I dont have mine yet but if theres no heatsink then maybe you can add one. Is this a TO220 package? Regulators get hot by nature and most have internal protection to keep them from destroying themselves.

You probably dont have to worry about the regulator but if it goes into shutdown then things will stop working.

grandad wrote:

Hi,

I thought I would ask this question here rather than direct to Dan & crew, as any answers may be useful to others.

I'm trying out various configurations of my new LOR "toys" one of which entails powering both the DC-MP3 director AND an Easy Light Linker from one CTB16DV5 controller. All runs fine but the 9v DC regulator on the 16D gets mighty hot. The LOR WiKi says here that this configuration is fine but I'm a little apprehensive if the 16D has to run like this for prolonged periods during the season.

Anyone any thoughts?

Martin

kb9nvh wrote:

I dont have mine yet but if theres no heatsink then maybe you can add one. Is this a TO220 package? Regulators get hot by nature and most have internal protection to keep them from destroying themselves.

You probably dont have to worry about the regulator but if it goes into shutdown then things will stop working.

Hi kb9nvh (?)

Thanks for your reply.

The 16D does have a heat sink fitted on the TO220 package 9v reg which drives these peripherals. I'm aware of the safety factors built into these devices and I'm not concerned with any safety issues of the unit but, I wouldn't want shows to just stop because of an overload situation.

Martin

We tested the card with 150% of the load you have on it now. That regulator will get very warm but it stays well within it's operating parameters....

LightORama wrote:

We tested the card with 150% of the load you have on it now. That regulator will get very warm but it stays well within it's operating parameters....

Great news Dan, I guess that was all I needed to hear :)

Thanks.

Martin.

Hi grandad, thats the board I have coming. I'll keep this issue in mind when I build mine. Maybe a larger heatsink. Anyway, winter months might be kinder to it than displays set up for the summer. (which I'll probably do).

grandad wrote:

kb9nvh wrote:

Hi kb9nvh (?)

Thanks for your reply.

The 16D does have a heat sink fitted on the TO220 package 9v reg which drives these peripherals. I'm aware of the safety factors built into these devices and I'm not concerned with any safety issues of the unit but, I wouldn't want shows to just stop because of an overload situation.

Martin