Light-O-Rama Forums

HD CAMCORDER

redsea300

I spent 6 months researching and comparing cameras on several sites, consumer reports, Cnet, several video review sites, and you can find a lot on youtube. I concur with the opinion of moving away from tapes. The industry is moving away and there is not much need anymore. I worried about drive failure and went the SDD. I stayed away from Sony because their memory sticks are more expensive and their proprietary stance in the industry aggravates me. I went with the Canon HF10, and I am VERY VERY happy with it. I used none of the manual settings when recording my halloween show at night. It went out of focus once, corrected itself - and I actually liked the effect so I left it in the video. See my other posts for links to the youtube videos. I used pricegrabber a lot to compare prices, but in the end I found the best price at Costco, and it came with a bag. My recommendation with this camera is get the extended battery. I don't even use the original battery any more. I also got a 16 gig card (I comes with 16GB built in). I now get lazy and don't clean off the camera or charge the battery for months (of occasional use)

Thanks Joel for the info on the Canon hf10. I was concerned about the camera going out of focus on automatic settings during our type of light show. I am interested in the Canon hf s10. Waiting for the price to come down a little more. I have seen video on youtube and other video places of night time shots, but most of those don't have the high rate of "blinking" lights that we use in our displays. Did you use a tripod or any other type of stablization?

Tom

I have been looking at the Canon Vixia HF models. If you need to see some videos recorded with this camera check out Jeff Ostroff's videos, they have great clarity and picture quality, they were shot with the Canon Vixia HF10, he used Sony Vegas Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack for editing. I emailed him last year to talk about what settings he used, he indicated that he used all default settings except he set the camera to manual focus.
Here is the link to his website: http://www.lauderdalechristmas.com/
scroll down to see them.

I paid a professional to video my show last year, he had a Sony camera (professional model but don't remember which one), and the year before that the guy had a JVC (also a professional model). I didn't really like the overall quality of the videos from the Sony camera, seemed to have some "blooming" around the lights. The guy last year did a great job on the finished product - editing out cars that drove by, adding titles, blending of shots from one different angles and so on.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Would you be willing to share the manual settings that you use for the hf10? I thinking of getting the hf s10 before Christmas and would like to know how to set it for our types of displays at night. I won't have much time to "practice" with it before hand.

Thanks in advance

Tom

tmadak wrote:

Hi Craig,

Would you be willing to share the manual settings that you use for the hf10? I thinking of getting the hf s10 before Christmas and would like to know how to set it for our types of displays at night. I won't have much time to "practice" with it before hand.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Tom - I hope I didn't mislead you it was Jeff who has the HF10 Camera, not me. I was just passing on what he shared with me.
He said the only manual setting he used was a Manual Focus, everything else was set at the default settings for low light shooting at night.
You could send him a PM on PlanetChristmas to get more info, he is a very helpful guy. (jeffostroff on PlanetChristmas)

Craig

I just ordered a Cannon Hf-S100 deluxe kit from Amazon 1200.00. It has telephoto and wide angle lenses,8gb card, extra large battery charger,2 tripods,cleaning stuff and lcd lens protection, and a case. Can't wait to try it out. I will ost after I shoot something with it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are planning on buying anything in the next week, look at Black Friday deals. I bought our HD canon HF10 camcorder last year from Best Buy on Black Friday, and got a real good deal, so look at ads that are already online for those deals.

Looking at the 3 you listed, the first one (Canon) is a flash based, where as the other 2 are Hard drive based.

What I did, when I was shopping was figure out the media (Tape, Flash, Hard drive, etc) I wanted, and then focused on the different models using that media.

There is always a good debate on tape verse digital (Flash or Hard drive), and in the end you need to choose. There are pros, and cons to both

I work there part time just for the discount. I plan on buying it before black friday. How does the video look for the canon?

I work there part time just for the discount. I plan on buying it before black friday. How does the video look for the canon?

Good morning

If you plan on downloading to a computer in hd

make the seller prove that it can be accomplished

my canon hv30 will not allow capturing in hd

will capture hd video at standard only

if recorded in standard will not capture at all

that was on two computers one xp and one vista -- windows movie maker

good camera does well video wise - playback to hd tv is great and easy

A local camera shop does not even have equipment to get hd off of tape

hv30 is tape based -- last Christmas when I bought, the hard drive camera units

were having download problems according http://www.hv20.com/ forum

In one year I have twenty minutes of video

Not one of my more intelligent aquisitions -- how many controllers/lights is that

Frank A.:)

Windows Movie Maker does not support AVCDH. You will need an editor that supports it or, in the alternative, software that will convert to mpeg.

To anyone interested in upgrading to HD video, be advised that you need a computer with a fair amount of horsepower if you plan on editing.