Light-O-Rama Forums

Software for Macs

sasmuse

Hello,
I am a perfectly content PC owner/user who uses LOR controllers and software to design and run my shows. However...

I work at a high school, and the music tech teacher was wondering if I could help him do a light show unit with his class. The only problem....the school is mac-based. The classroom laptops are running mac 10.5.x

I've looked at LOR, LightShowPro and Aurora, but they all appear to be windows-based. Does anyone know of a mac-based program that works with LOR controllers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sally Simpson

I don't know for certain, but I think if you had bootcamp or a similar program running XP, Vista and a USB port based controller; it should work. I believe it would be easier to load your PC up and take to school and/or find an older PC to buy/give the school to use. You still need the LOR program to "play" the sequences, although, the demo version will do everything but run a controller.

Thanks. Some sort of emulation program does seem to be the direction I'll head next. Any suggestions for a good emulator. Mac stopped packaging bootcamp with it's operating systems.

Sally

sasmuse wrote:

Mac stopped packaging bootcamp with it's operating systems.

Sally

Are you sure? I haven't yet installed Snow Leopard (install CD is sitting on my desk), but a quick google finds lots of stuff related to Snow Leopard/MacOS 10.6 and Boot Camp (and nothing I could find about it being a separate product or something)

Could have been a miscommunication on our sales rep's part. Since we don't use it, it wasn't something we missed or were looking for. I'll double-check. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sally

This is from the Apple website

It runs Windows, too. Have a Windows application you need to use once in a while? No problem. Every new Mac lets you install Windows XP and Vista and run them at native speeds, using a built-in utility called Boot Camp.
Setup is simple and safe for your Mac files. After you’ve completed the installation, you can boot up your Mac using either Mac OS X or Windows. (That’s why it’s called Boot Camp.) Or if you want to run Windows and Mac applications at the same time — without rebooting — you can install Windows using VMware or Parallels software.*

at my office I run Parallels software with Windows XP and LOR run Great

Thanks, Jerry, that's what I thought. I still think an old, used pc makes the most economic sense. Parent or business may have something if you get the word out. XP is not so diiferent from the Mac OS. Why the pc fear (from the band guy)?

The more critical issue would be electrical cords and students....also the amount of current or what kind of lights he wants to control....

Actually, since Leopard, Bootcamp has been built in. However, 10.5.x may be Tiger. (I probably am wrong) If that is the case you can not run Bootcamp. Also remember that you need an Intel based Mac or it really won't work. I could be wrong again, but I don't think Tiger worked with Intel based Macs.

I have Leopard and upgraded to Snow Leopard when it came out. (I recommend you do too, Tim) I haven't used Bootcamp and Snow Leopard yet, but with Leopard LOR worked fine. I will say this, I never did try and control a show with it though.

I have a hard time keeping the "cats" straight too, but for the record...

10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard
10.6 = Snow Lepoard.

And if we really want to go back:

10.3 = Panther
10.2 = Jaguar
10.1 = Puma
10.0 = Cheetah

Personally, I'm holding out for "Domestic Shorthair" :)

I'll defiintely be upgrading to Snow Leopard. I just haven't taken the time to do it yet, and some work-related projects are holding me back.

-Tim

Just got a new 24" iMac, but I am having a hard time justifying putting XP, Vista, or 7 on it when I have so many pc's lying around; other than the challenge of it. Still Mac challenged, but learning...