Light-O-Rama Forums

Spining Mega-tree fade down

Guest guest

I have done several time's in the past a spinning mega-tree fade down (which is something I have not yet seen done, and wanted to keep secret) and tonight when I did it on a sequence it does not work, it starts out fine but then it just starts to pop randomly instead of spinning to a fade, (on the animation wizard it looks fine, but on the LOR controlled light boards it is all wrong) I have checked and rechecked, and the sequencing looks fine.

Please see the attached link for a sample animation - http://members.cox.net/gremlerchristmas/not%20working%20mega%20tree%20spin.las

Please help

Bill

Edit: It is a 12 channel Mega-tree, (like you couldn't not figure that one out)

Unless I am missing something it looks fine to me... I am wondering if you would like it to fade earilier. I believe that you have it begine to fae at about 3:00 seconds

Hey Bill,

I was just wondering if maybe it's acting like a string of LEDs (when fading) with no real load to each channel once it starts to fade. You might try adding a rolled up string of lights (or a terminator as Annalisa has mentioned before) to create more of a load for the LOR controllers to work right during the fade.

Just a thought, everything else looks great. Great idea too. Thanks for exposing your secret weapon :].

Tom

Bill,

I sent you a file via email to try. I've run across a similar problem and found a work around. When I used the ramp down tool across multiple events, then edited by either cut and paste or just turning cells off it flashed like yours did.

Now here's the convoluted part... What I did to make it work for me. I took the number of events over the fade and divided 100 by that number. In this case it was 18. The result was 5.5. I needed each cell to reduce by 5.5 over the 18. I wanted to use whole numbers so I made every other cell 5 then 6. So the table went like this...

99 - 94, 93 - 89, 88 - 83, 82 - 78 etc... down to 0%

Then I selected the first cell, adjusted the set intensity, pasted it into that cell and repeated that another 17 times for the rest of the fade. Once you have the actual values set in the cells you can copy and paste them without any errors.

I've had this problem crop up whenever I try to play with fades and short times. If I put a set value in, it gets stable for some reason. Maybe Dan Baldwin can shed some light on why this happens...

jeff

Bill that is real weird, I am playing in live with mini lights and see exactly what your saying. In the animator it looks real neat but in live its all messed up.

Jeff could you send me that file also. I was doing somthing similar but not exactly the same and ran into this problem. I was having several channels fade down but then I just cut the last 30% fade totally off. That allowed me a nice gentle fade in a short area. Since I have modifed it because of the problem but would like to see your way around it.

JR V wrote:

Jeff could you send me that file also.

JR,

You've got email. I set the unit address to the same unit as Bill's. I had this hooked up to my mega sim. It is twelve 18" sections of ropelight wire-tied to a frame made from hangers. So it's probably not much more of a load than the single C7 bulbs that Bill uses for his sim.

jeff

BTW, Bill how's your back doing? I hope you're feeling better!

gremler wrote:

I have done several time's in the past a spinning mega-tree fade down (which is something I have not yet seen done, and wanted to keep secret) and tonight when I did it on a sequence it does not work, it starts out fine but then it just starts to pop randomly instead of spinning to a fade, (on the animation wizard it looks fine, but on the LOR controlled light boards it is all wrong) I have checked Edit: It is a 12 channel Mega-tree, (like you couldn't not figure that one out)

What you see is a problem with LOR... It has to do with short fades like you have in this sequence. The strangest part to this bug is that the short fade may work but it may mess up another channel(s)....

We know what causes the problem and how to fix it.

Dan, is it a bug in the controller, or in the software? Will LORII fix it? What do we need to avoid (i.e., fades shorter than xx seconds) to keep from being affected?

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Jeff

I copied and pasted it in to the sequence and it worked fine, Don't really understand why and I can't argue with success. This was driving me bonkers last night.

Thanks again, now on to the next project

Bill

tsmith35 wrote:

Dan, is it a bug in the controller, or in the software? Will LORII fix it? What do we need to avoid (i.e., fades shorter than xx seconds) to keep from being affected?

Thanks,
Tom

It is a bug in the PC software. It is fixed in LOR II... The problem manifests itself with a when you have a short fade AND the intensity is changing very little during the fade. So you can have a 1/10 second fade ( 100% to 0%) and it is not a problem but if you have a 1/10 second fade from 5% to 10% then there may be a problem.

I will try and get a better definition of the parameters that cause the problem.