Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions about channels and sequence events

Guest guest

im looking at the lor software, and im wondering, whats the difference beetween shimmer and twinkle? can the controller make individual lights on a string turn on and off or something?

carterhawk ... to me, shimmer is like a very fast twinkle. It's a great effect and I use it much more often than twinkle.

Twinkle is a bit slower and appears more random and seems to depend on how many channels are twinkling (though that's just my guess).

No, LOR can't control individual bulbs on a string - the commands will do the same thing to all bulbs on that line at the same time. Though, it you want to create a "chase" sequence, you just use three or four LOR channels and set your lights up so it appears they are controlled in sequence.

Where are you from? (Hint: Go to My Account and add your state/country, and optionally city) We've got lots of LOR people all over, and knowing where you're at you may get some offers to visit folks using LOR to see exactly how it all goes together.

Welcome to PlanetChristmas and computerized lighting!

carterhawk wrote:

im looking at the lor software, and im wondering, whats the difference beetween shimmer and twinkle? can the controller make individual lights on a string turn on and off or something?

Nothing, short of magic, can make the bulbs on a standard mini/led string twinkle independently via computer control. They just aren't wired for it.

It's easiest just to see the effect, but shimmer takes all channels with the shimmer effect selected, and rapidly pulsates them. The resulting effect looks like the lights/display are "sparkling".

Twinkle, on the other hand, makes all selected channels (with that effect) randomly turn on and off. It's most effective where you have a large group of similar lights that you want a random effect on. I use it, for example, on our mini-trees sometimes. I think it's less effective on unrelated displays, like a bunch of random wireframes.

-Tim