Light-O-Rama Forums

Orbit Box deal

Guest guest

I talked today with one of my Orbit friends. He's still trying to work on the deal but doesn't have any definite details yet. He said he could get me boxes at cost, but he could only get about five at a time and probably can't do that too often. He's still working on some type of a volume discount that would allow everyone who has shown interest to get the boxes they want. Again, I'm not sure what the price would be for this route yet.

I was asked about drop shipping or if I would need to ship them. I don't know for sure but, if the bulk order works out, they would probably want me to pick up the entire order and I would be responsible for shipping. I am located in Salt Lake and Orbit is a few miles away in Bountiful, Utah.

Just to let everyone know, I talked to Orbit about a month ago about these enclosures. They told me I could buy them directly from them at a cost of $33 per box plus shipping. Not cheap by any means, so lets see what kind of price they shoot Marty. Keep your fingers crossed.:(

James

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: When I got mine special ordered through Home Depot, (my local Home Depot does not carry them), they only charged me $25 each plus tax.

Home Depot Victor NY, I guess I talked to the right manager. As long as Orbit say's they distribute to Home Depot, they should honor it, even if it is a special order.

James Peachee wrote:

Just to let everyone know, I talked to Orbit about a month ago about these enclosures. They told me I could buy them directly from them at a cost of $33 per box plus shipping. Not cheap by any means, so lets see what kind of price they shoot Marty. Keep your fingers crossed.:(

James

I believe the list price for these boxes is around $45. Home Depot and several other large outlets get a big discount because of their bulk purchases. I've been told that they will do better then the HD price. Now, I'm not sure what kind of deal it will actually be. If they ever do give me the price :? they might be thinking that a 10% discount from the HD price is a good deal. In my mind that won't be that good since you would lose the cost advantage in shipping costs. With that said, I still don't have any clue what the price or discount really will be. It's driving me nutty--more than I already am--that it's taking so long to get a firm price.

Marty, if HD is selling them for $45 then I would not hesitate to guess they are paying around $22 per box, if that. I have had some dealings in the manufacture and selling of products and as a general rule small dealers will get an item at about 25-33% off retail while distributors and big box stores will get 50-60% off the retail price. Have not really taken a close look at these boxes but if they are injection moulded they are made for pennies on the dollar. The most expensive part of the injection moulding process is the actual mold. In the US it can cost almost $70,000.00 to design and build a mold for a products that will cost only about $0.60 to produce. In China the mold will cost a little less than half what it costs in the US. That is why you see so many molded plastic pieces from China.

This is getting a little frustrating. I'm still bugging the one guy to get me a final price. I'm trying not to get too pushy less he tell me to buzz off. I will be seeing the other Orbit guy tomorrow night and will start pressing him a bit more. I've got ten controllers sitting in my office just waiting for enclosures. A few more are on the way. I'd really like to get this done so I can move on to other important preparations.

I checked my Home Depots in the area (Southeast Wisconsin) and I was told they do not carry the Orbit line in this area. But I did find them at Menards. Just under $30 each. I did have to special order as they were out of stock at my local store (normally a stock item, just an empty shelf) and I just did not feel like driving a lot to get what I needed. But no shipping charges if they go direct to store. So if you have a Menards nearby, check them out.

Just a clarification on the price. Home Depot sells these enclosures for around $25. If I do work out the deal through Orbit the price will be less than the Home Depot price.

I was looking at the Orbit enclosure at my local HD (Fort Worth, TX.) last night and they were $25.99. Just thought I would throw that in. I would need 6 enclosures as I have 6 boards do in Tuesday.

Mark
AKA Bullet100t

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the local Home Depot and they had the orbit timer boxes on their clearance rack. I paid $18.19. Need to go back and get some more. Not sure if these are the same boxes as shown but the inside measurement is 9.25h x 10.75w x 3.25d. Model #57095. This one comes with a GFCI mounted inside (easily removable).