Light-O-Rama Forums

Orbit Box deal

Guest guest

The worldwide headquarters for Orbit is located about 15 miles from my house. I have two friends who are long time employees of Orbit. For some mysterious reason I never even thought about asking them about getting discount pricing on these boxes. Well, I've finally come to my senses and have them checking on what they could do for a large order for us Christmas nuts.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them but they think they can get some real good pricing to save us some hard earned money. If this does work out they will be in my possession and I would be able to sell them to any of you interested in using them for your controllers. The only stipulation is they can't end up on eBay. This would get me in a lot of trouble and end any further possibility of discount pricing. As soon as I have a price I'll post it here.

Now, I have followed the post about concerns of water dripping onto the circuit boards. I understand there are some concerns. I believe the possible problem is when the boards are mounted without removing the inside panel. Anyway, once I have prices and quantities available I'll post it here.

More to come...

This boxes are great and I would certainly recommend them. I was shocked to see that others had simply mounted their boards without removing the orbitz mounting panel.
I would not suggest this method of installation at all.

All I could think was- (IMHO) "all this time spent sequencing, welding frames, creative cord making, building props, testing lights, maintaining an spotless inventory of what they have- but they won't unscew less than a dozen screws and cut out 3 pieces of plastic??"

Marty- may I suggest that if possible- maybe ask for these boxes without the GFI and panels- no packaging. (make sure the lock stays) It seems like they would be able to poach them off the line before those items were installed and would certainly save money.

I understand that some people like the "bonus" GFI they get with the box though...

Tad

Marty, I agree getting them gutted would be a plus. I know I will need at least 8 as I still have five of the other boxes from last year. No worry on the Ebay on this end as I am not a shopper there.

Marty,
You may want to post this in Head's Up or another general forum as well. Not all of the folks watch the LOR forum and some folks may want to get in on this deal as well.

I may be interested in some, for things other than controllers, since most, if not all of mine are already in boxes, and I don't think I'll be expanding any this season...

What is the theory behind removing the internal panel to increase the waterproofing?

If you remove the internal panel, do you have to punch holes in the back of the Orbit box to accomodate mounting bolts and standoffs?

It seems that mounting the LOR to the internal panel would not require any new holes in the outside of the box.

I know I must be missing something simple. Perhaps someone has a picture of the best way to mount the LOR inside the Orbit box.

Thanks!

DXer

I'll post something in "Heads Up" once the deal actually materializes. So far I am cautiously optimistic that it will turn out well. I don't want to get too many people's hopes up until I know for sure that we can get the enclosures for a decent price. Also, remember that Dan is working on new enclosures that will be an exact fit for the LOR cards and be reasonably priced. Dan's enclosures could possibly be available before I get the Orbit deal worked out. All things being equal I would prefer Dan's enclosures over the Orbit boxes. This Orbit deal just kind of fell into my lap. Otherwise I would just wait for Dan's enclosures.

Regarding the question about why to remove the inner panel: By mounting the LOR board to the internal panel it is directly under the seam of the lid. These are water resistant, not waterproof. A previous post talked about testing these enclosures and found that water might leak inside. If the board is mounted on the inside panel it will likely have rain water flow down the board. By removing the panel and mounting the board deeper inside the enclosure it is better protected from moisture.

I too have been holding out for Dan's boxes, hoping it was still part of the plan to make these available.

Which ever way it works out, I'm actually going to need like 12 of them.

Steve

I'm still waiting for my friends to get back to me with a price. One of them did stop by with a computer printout with a photo of the enclosure. He wanted to make sure he was checking on the correct box. Hopefully it won't take too much longer to get a price.... and I hope we aren't all disappointed by the price he gets us. I'll let you know.

WOW!!

I never realized how Hot these boxes would be once i posted the pics of my lor boards in them. I am glad we are finding an alternative to rite-time boxes