Light-O-Rama Forums

Easyest Song That You Have Sequencened

Guest guest

Sort of on topic, but one thing to be aware of is the delay when using an FM transmitter. By the time the audio gets from the laptop through the fm transmitter to the receiver and out to speakers, there is a noticeable delay from the channels directly out to control the lights. Well, maybe noticeable to me... since I'm looking!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steven

• Dale W

• NWSanta

• Brian Mahnke

I'm working on sequencing Halloween music now. The Psycho theme song has been rough, but I just did a Sesame Street version of Monster Mash that was pretty easy. I'm not coordinated enough for the Tapper Wizard yet, so I just go second by second through the song and find patterns which I can copy and paste.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Midi Wizard works when that's available...I've got TONS of music in midi format.

:devil:

• 1 year later...

Daren Moon wrote:

I am a newby and would really like to check out some sequences. I just purchased a 16 channel and am totaly lost.

Daren,
Check out www.lorsequences.com for plenty of downloadable examples.

Cheers

I always thought Wizards in Winter was the easiest, and that was why everyone did it!

The hardest part for me was getting started.
Everyoner had suggested to use a .10 grid or something like that.
I would still be on my first song if I did that!

I have NO events, and tap out every 1/2 note beat, then go back to each event and insert 7 events. You now have a perfect 1/16th note grid in time with the song, . . . . NOT kust some .10 second grifd that you try to match to the song.

Dale W wrote:

I did a 18 second version of Jingle Bells by Robert Goulet. It was pretty easy.

Would that be the one from "The Simpsons"?

MichaelC wrote:

Sort of on topic, but one thing to be aware of is the delay when using an FM transmitter.
What kind of transmitter are you using? Most simple transmitters, like the Ramsey one I'm using, push the audio through at the speed of light. I have outdoor speakers connected directly to an amplifier, connected to my computer, and also a transmitter that my neighbor across the street tunes and puts his speakers outside. There is no delay between the two audio signals.

Steven wrote:

Dale W wrote:

Would that be the one from "The Simpsons"?

Yes it would be. Goulet also did a Christmas number for the Christmas edition of "Recess, School's Out" series, but I liked the short one from the Simpsons better.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that fast songs are the easiest, and more accurately set at .05 timing.

The easiest song to do was "Muppets Jingle Bell Rock" .

One tip - I find it is easiest to work on one segment of the display at a time - for instance - I have a "Mike Z" mega tree in my display, once I finish the house lights I move to the tree - and unless I get a "Block" I work on the tree until it's finished then move to the next segment. I find this helps the show flow and not looked pieced together. I fine tune the show when it's almost complete.

I have talking characters in my shows, "Alvin and the Chipmunks", and the "wave form" & the "tapper" is the only way to really make that come together well.

Attached files 147393=8639-chipmunks3.jpg

• 3 months later...

Dale W wrote:

I used Audacity to remove the part where he said "Sorry, kid." Now it's only 14 seconds long.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard,

I have two children, ages four and five. I practice sequencing alot of musical tracks with my kids songs, The Wiggles, Sesame street, etc. They really like seeing the lights dance to their music.

Part of getting through a sequence is listening to a song over and over and eventually knowing the song beat, timing and variances really well. And we all know that when you have kids, all we do is listen to the same music over, and over, and over, and over...

Kids songs are very sing-song and very easy to learn sequencing. Once you have that down, then you can sequnce much more complicated music tracks with a breeze.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun!

Brian

Pottery Barn has a couple of Holidat CD's out with the perfect mix of oldies music.

Tony Bennet "Santa Claus is coming to town"

Burl Ives "A Holly Jooly Christmas"

Peggy Lee "I like a sleigh ride (Jingle Bells)"

and many, many more.

Check it out

Easiest one I've done is the THX bit with the Robot. It was a little challenging as I wanted it to be perfect. It was a big hit last year and I'll probably include it this year again.

Having a look at other peoples sequences certainly helps you get inspired and gives you ideas on how to apply those lines to your show.

I swear there should be one button for copy and one for paste on the keyboard. That would make things a little easier.

I just finished a fun little fast song that I'm saving for christmas but i'm really excited about it. I had to use .03 timing to make it work so i hope the lights can keep up.
*Teaser it's from Sinbad....

-Evan

I had been taking the approach that I would do a bunch of songs and then leave 'Wizards of Winter' for the last (or almost last), so I would be good enough to do it.

Well, I'm about half done ... but, to me, Wizards of Winter seems like the easiest one yet. The music has such clearly defined starts and stops and bursts of sound ... just seems easy compared to other songs which are more like picking out individual instruments in a bigger musical score.

I have that 'popcorn' song by hot buttered popcorn which seems like it would be easy to do, because the vu meter could practically do it for you, or at least give you timings to spread around.

I've done a few rock songs which seem a lot harder, esp. if you try to follow the guitar riff with lights and handle constant but irregular changes in tempo and sound.

NWSanta wrote:

I swear there should be one button for copy and one for paste on the keyboard. That would make things a little easier.

There is.

Well not just one button but two.

What you do is select the cell you want to copy, then push and hold the "Ctrl" button and then push the "C" button while holding the "Ctrl" Button down to copy.

To paiste, you select the cell where you want to paiste and hold down the "Ctrl" button and push the "V" button to paiste.

MichaelC wrote:

This will be my first LOR christmas. I wanted to wet my whistle so I did a mini summer show.

I found that the tapper and such doesn't work so well. I even tried using external programs to figure out the beat and multiply by the length to get my events. In the end, I decided to break the songs up into .05 segments. this allows almost all my effects to be synched. For much faster things you can split it later, but overall, the .05 was very workable. Also, I can not relay the importance of using the 1/2 and 1/4 speed playback options in combination with the "Play visible Screen" option. Those features were critical in the programming.

I agree with Michael, that the 1/2 and 1/4 speed playback are critical to getting the timing right, but using S2, both of those functions are usless to me (see post in other thread - http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/16262.html). I'm hoping someone can shed light on that problem.

Back to the question at hand, I think Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer was my easiest to sequence. Lots of repetition - copy and paste, copy and paste... piece of cake (relatively speaking). Still takes hours per minute of music...

D.T.

Under S2, only the 1/2 speed works for me, the 1/4 speed doesn't work.

Even then, it only works when using an mp3, not a wav I believe.

I've also noticed that the waveform doesn't work sometimes, seems to work with mp3 best for me.