Light-O-Rama Forums

New LOR user needs help w/how to make a lighted jump rope out of pvc

Carol Marcom

I'm sure those of you who've constructed all these amazing items I've seen can help me w/this. I need to make a jump rope w/mice on each end one in the middle of the jump rope. I want it to light in sequences bottom (middle if it can work) and top.
Pls help
God Bless,
Carol Marcom

I use sunbrella fabric like used on boat canvas tops. I drew a pattern for the head make hands tails use wire inside the ears for support and mount the head on a stand my husband makes. I use a styrofoam ball for the nose and cover it w/black yard stick a coat hanger in it and stick on the nose part of the head. I use a coat hanger for the tail and cover it w/the fabric.The is stuffed w/polyfill. They are different and my neighbors have begged me to do this again. So, at the machine I am working. Hope when I'm done to have someone other than me take pictures to post.

Dear J,
I will use whatever type of lights will work to make it flash in sequence to look like a jump rope.
I need to know should I use pvc and wrap w/lights how do I stabilize the pvc if I do one bottom one middle and one top.
I just need help on how to construct this.
Carol

Carol Marcom wrote:

Dear J,
I will use whatever type of lights will work to make it flash in sequence to look like a jump rope.
I need to know should I use pvc and wrap w/lights how do I stabilize the pvc if I do one bottom one middle and one top.
I just need help on how to construct this.
Carol

Another question that would help provide construction ideas is the size of your creation. Is it to be used outside or inside? I'm sure in your mind you are visualizing how you want the finished item to appear, but I'm not quite understanding the size and usage. Do you have a sketch or something?

If you are wanting to use 3 lengths of lights (whatever type, on the bottom, middle, and top) you would just prepare your LOR sequence to turn the lights on and off in that order. However, in my opinion, only 3 (bottom, middle and top) might appear to be jerky. More lights would provide a smoother motion effect, say 6 in sequence.

Are the mice illuminated? Do the mice on the ends of the ropes have multiple arm positions that would illuminate as if they are swinging the rope?

How about the mouse in the middle, does it have up and down positions as if it is jumping over the rope as it swings around?

Dear J,
This is for outside use w/standing 3' mice -one on each end of the "jump rope".
I want it to flash to look like a jump rope so your idea to do more sounds good just
how do I construct and out of what materials?
C

Do you have a sketch or drawing?

How far apart will the end mice be from each other?

Do you have access to a welder? I can think of several ways to fabricate a metal "rope structure". (My part of this hobby is building my own wireframes)

Great idea, sounds like it would really look nice.

My first thought is to use PVC and make an arch that is perpendicular to the mice. The height of the arch would be the height of the jump rope. This would give you a center point to attach the jump rope lights.

There are a couple of problems; with only 1 arch the jump rope would not be an arc it would be a triangle. Also the lights would tend to sag between the attachment points depending on how far apart the mice are.

Maybe this will give you some better ideas, at least I hope so.

Bruce

Here is what I think I would try.

I would create a U shaped frame out of a 1 X4. Then get some 1/4 inch steel rod and bend it into the rope's shapes. drill holes in the 1x4 and insert the ends of the rod into the frame in the three positions, up, straight out, and down. Then I would ziptie ropelight to the rods and mount the dolls to hide the frame. The frame would have to be staked to the ground so it won't tip over as it will definitely be front heavy.