Light-O-Rama Forums

Programing Sequences

Guest guest

I am wondering the best way to try and start programing sequences. Do you start with one effect and then move on to the next or try and do everything at once? I have a pretty large display but this is my first year to computerize with LOR. I have 216 channels available and figure I will probably use around 120.

Thanks for any insight.

Brian

I'm in the same boat.

Here's what I've done so far:

Setup a spreadsheet labeling all channels, short description, amp draw and LOR unit.
I sort this list by LOR unit then move the various channel descriptions around to plan for cords and power requirements. Once I have that squared away I start labeling the channels in the LOR software. I start with setting up the "change channel settings" because it will over write channel names when you pick the number of channels. Then I set the name and color. (time consuming for 200+ channels) I work this all in conjunction with the map of my yard and layout of my house. Then I setup the LOR animation to kind of represent my yard, house...
Once the channels are all set and labeled I save (export) the channel configuration so I can use it for the various songs.

Then I load my first song, either tap the beat or pick a standard beat (I forget how).

Then I start programming by using a small number of lights and building up more lights using the animation to kind of get an idea what it will look like.

So far it's a lot of work but my 12 year old goes "Wow" every time time I show him a new revision.

Kevin

Everybody does this differently, but basically, this is how I do it. I have over 300 channels, so I have to start small, then branch out from there. I start out by naming all of the channels. When I find a song, I break the yard up in to parts of the song. Lets say it has a man's vocal, an woman's vocal, drums, horns, main beats, etc. Each part of the yard is going to be assigned to every part of the song. Then I label the first few channels for each of these parts. I will set the whole grid first of all with maybe 1/10 columns. Then go back and tap out the man's vocal, and assign it to row 1. Then tap out the woman's vocal, and assign to row 2. Then another part of the song to row 3, etc. By the time you are done, you will have all of the parts of the song in maybe 5-10 lines. Then you can go back and fine tune every part of the song, along with all of your effects. (fading, ramping, etc.) So you will end up with what I call a "beat grid" for that particular song, which you can save. Then you have to populate your total grid by dragging and dropping these first few rows to fill whatever channels of your total grid you want them in, depending on what part of your yard is what part of the song. Then you might want to fine tune again. Since it's hard to watch 300+ channels on the screen, I just try to condense it enough to see the basic format and go from there. I will sit out front, when the show is going on, and take notes, making adjustments for probably the first week until it looks just like I want it. There is more to it than this, but maybe this will help you get started. :shock:

>>>I also forgot about inserting a channel (or two at the top) and using the tapper to have that channel be a sync channel for voices or other beats.<<<<

It sure is a lot easier to do this, and fine tune a few lines, than to try to do it when you are dealing with several hundred lines. It is to me anyway.:)

Ok, now how or I should say where do you do this. I have played with the Tap Wizard but I do not follow you on the creating a base and being ablt to drag that base to your channels. Is there a Demo on the LOR site about this?

Thanks

Brian

In stead of having the Tapper apply to the sequence, just apply it to the one channel. The option is in the Tapper Wizard but you have to have an unused channel for it to apply to.

Brian,

You would just drag your cursor across it, starting at the first column, hold your right mouse button clear over to the end of the sequence, and copy it. Then just go to whatever channel you want to stick it in, and paste it. What I usually do, is make up the "beat grid", by itself, and save it. Then I import/export this "beat grid" into a new sequence and start building from there. Then when I'm done, I just don't assign those first channels to any lights.