Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Lights

brownjm74

First of all, Yes I am a Newbee! I just got my LOR Kit last week. I am working on building a mega tree about 20' tall and I was wondering how many strands of lights do you use. I was thinking of using just 8 however I see that the "toppers" that you can buy have 16. So now I am wondering if 8 won't be enough to make the tree look real/good.

Jeremy

It all is going to depend on the look you are going for. I have a 14ft tree that has 21 sections on it, but I like the tree to look full. Each strand has it's own channel plus a star and strobes, so my tree has 23 channels altogether. I personally think 8 isn't enough but again it is a personal preference.

My first year i used 8 slices, each with two sets of lights, In my opinion it wasn't nearly full enough. Last year I increased to 3 colors across 12 channels each channel controlling two sets of lights, eventually I want to get up to at least 18 channels each color, Like Greg said, I too like a fuller look but truly it is each individuals preference.

I, personally, would go with a minimum of 16 strings of lights. Another idea is to start each string at the bottom, go up to the topper and then come back down. That's how my tree will be done this year. I'm building a 12 foot tree with 16 sections of four colors each. Total of 64 channels. By going from bottom to top and back down, it'll actually become 32 vertical strands.

-Gary-

I do what Greg does.

Three colors, 12 channels per color, and two strings per channel. for a grand total of 72 strings of lights.

It gives it a fairly full look.

I have a 20 foot megatree for this year, 128 strings of C6 LEDs, four colors, 64 channels, plus 8 channels for the star on top, plus 2 more channels for strobes.

Its OK to start smaller your first year and work up.

Gary,
Are you talking of going up and back down on the other side (180). Or are you coming back down a few inches away from where you went up (wedge)? I know most do the wedge, but there are some who also like the up and over approach.

Thanks

Max-Paul

I am doing the up and down on the same side. Up from the bottom, then down right beside it. I'll have 16 slices of the pie that way. Almost done with the animation for the tree, including spinning effects. Gonna be a neat addition this year :)

-Gary-