Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! Standard 60 watt bulbs (Total Novice)

Guest guest

I will not pretend to know anything about amps and watts so I will make this question simple. I want to use my 16 channel LOR to control 16 can lights under the front eve (not yet installed) of my house. If I plug each eight channel plug into a different circuit will I have enough power to run 16 regular incandescent 60watt bulbs? I just don’t have a clue how much power this LOR can support without starting my attic on fire. Please explain as if I was a 5th grader and or I could take your explanation to the 16-year-old at Lowes and he would understand it.

Thank You,

Nate Hales

Hi Nate,

Each 60 watt bulb will draw .5 amps. watts= volts x amps

so 120 volts times .5 amps equals 60 watts.

you will have .5 amps per channel and 8 amps total for all the channels. (16 x .5)

each circuit (assuming dual power input for the LOR) will use 4 amps.

Well within the operational range for LOR :)

If you intend to leave this in you attic forever, you might want to hardwire it all in.

Tim

Nate,
You don't list your location, but you really might want to consider heat issues if you put it into the attic. My recommendation would be to put it someplace inside if it's a year round thing. The heat in an attic will accelerate the aging of the board and components greatly.

On the plus side, if your LOR board has issues, you'll find out fast :]. At my first job out of college, we used an old file cabinet with a heat lamp inside to run a QA test on the custom boards we built. Our cheap QA test identified the failures so well that our failure rate in the field dropped to less than 1% of the prior year.

Ken Mays
Lewisville, TX