Light-O-Rama Forums

Got the CCR.... Were is the software??

melwelch

Hmmm, see your point and a second controller would work... but honestly it wouldn't bother me to have an additional 10 channels if it would give me the control over 2 halfs, for this year I'm onlly using 3 RGB channels and the efx channels so to add another 7 channels and 3 more RGB channels for the second half is not a big deal. And for those that have the units set to anything but 2 for resolutions the additions channels wouldn't mean anything they would have to bother with. Actually another reason is I don't need 16 foot arches they are to big, so if you all had made 8' CCR's with controllers I would have bought those.... Just trying to figure a way around not having to program all 150 channels to get where I need to go.

Just my 2 cents that would give me the control without additional costs, .... sorry know your in the business of making money.

Thanks for the response.

Curt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darryl Lambert

• LightORamaJohn

• JeffBlan

• Cblood

Hey CBlood

If I understand you correctly, I think the existing macro modes can do what you need. The fill from controller (1) would start on #1 arch and would not continue on to #2 if you stop at 50%. everything above 50% would work in #2. So this would appear to the viewer as independent operation while handled by a single macro.

The from center modes (3 & 4) would work great for a split ribbon too for opposite jumping. But if you want them to jump the same way you can flip one arch around. This would require a longer cable run between the cut ribbon segments.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

In order to have a split ribbon with separate control of the two sections a second set of effect channels would be needed. I'm not sure this is a good direction to go in. The ideas were to minimize the number of channels necessary to use the ribbon and support common decorating elements. We were thinking along the lines of effects for arches, poles, trees, windows, doors, maybe a star...

If the two sections were controlled by the same effect channels, it fits into our design, but is probably not what you want.

One request that several people have already made is a separately available controller. That would allow the ribbon to be cut into separately managed sections that could be more flexibly positioned. We have not thought about a price for this, but the CCR's cost is about 2/3 ribbon + 1/3 controller. Does this make more sense?

Yes I understand. I was hoping that maybe only 1 more channel would be needed. That channel would be used to identify which half the macro was controlling. It could be set to 1 for the first half, 2 for the second half, or 3 for both halves.

If that is not possible, yes you would have to have 7 new macro channels to cover each half. If that seems unrealistic then I see where a seperate controller would be useful here but obviously not in the cards for this season.

I think I can do what I want this year by manually controlling the ribbon. It just may take more time. I may limit what I decide to do this year though until the new software is available (hopefully in 2010:-).

I would like to stay with one set of effect channels. If I add a second, it's not a simple internal change. Also, I could not add it for Legacy mode users because it would consume another unit ID and potentially break stuff. People using other software would complain and want a option to enable it in legacy mode. I would need to modify the HWU and the manual would become even more arcane. I don't really like the double arch with one ribbon because either you cut the ribbon or twist it between two structures which are more than likely going to continuously flex relative to one another. Both of these things up the potential for physical damage and repair issues.

That having been said, with current effects, you could fill from controller to ribbon end and fill from ribbon end to controller to get continuous leaps. Ends to center and center to ends gives you opposite leaps in both directions. If I add effects that leap from end and center toward the controller and controller and center to end that covers the filled arch simultaneous leap.

Darryl Lambert sugested a background color. My interpretation of this is that when a pixel would be off because of a macro effect, it would take on this color instead. It would only be active when a macro effect is enabled. I think this is a good idea, but I would have to take the three remaining channels (158. 159 & 160) to do this.

Well, I read your comments a few times and I think it makes sense. Totally understand about legacy mode etc. Just trying to get by this year before you are able to finish the next upgrade to include the new set of tools.

Sounds like the added efx leap might be the ticket to get around what I was originally asking for. Sure worth a try and appreciate your willingness to figure a way to do this type of efx.

I understand Darryls request and it sounds good as well, why 3 more channels??? Am I correct in assuming that it would be the RGB for the Bgnd Colour?

Thanks again John, we all appreciate what you are doing to get around issues for this year while looking forward to everything that would complicate getting your software updated. Good coding day!!!!

Curt

I don't understand the three chanels either unless you were trying to create a user difined color because how would you separate the RGB you were using with your Macro from the one you are using in the background.

I was thinking of a background color effect channel, using the same values as the current one, plus a set for steady on. That could be used with the macros. So the pixels that are normally off with the macros now would be controlled by this background color effect .

Darryl

Darryl Lambert wrote:

I don't understand the three chanels either unless you were trying to create a user difined color because how would you separate the RGB you were using with your Macro from the one you are using in the background.

I was thinking of a background color effect channel, using the same values as the current one, plus a set for steady on. That could be used with the macros. So the pixels that are normally off with the macros now would be controlled by this background color effect .

Think of macro effects as placing a pattern over the ribbon. When you use RGB channels or a color effect to set the RGB channels you are setting the color(s) of the ribbon's pixels. If no macro effect is selected, the ribbon is simply the color(s) set by the RGB channels or the color(s) set by the color effect which is setting the RGB channels for you.

The macro effects expose these pixels in various patterns. Think of it as a moving stencil. Unexposed pixels are off when a macro effect is being used. If I take channels 158, 159 & 160 and make them the RGB channels for a background color, then when a macro effect is on, unexposed pixels would take on this color rather than being off. If you wanted a red chase on a white ribbon, you would set the regular RGB channels to 100% red, 0% green & blue and the backround RGB channels all to 100% to make white. What were formerly unexposed off pixels in the red chase would now be white.

I have to use additional channels for the background color because the RGB channels are used for the foreground color(s). I think my scheme is the most flexible way to implement what you want.

Using all three remaining channels will give ability to select any background color. But, the twinkle and dazzle don't have this option. They have just a few color options.

If you need to save channels for some future feature, I think a single channel with a named color option would work out.

I like the concept.... adds some further flexibility

Thanks John. Is this something you will actually be implementing??? If so how soon, I know, I Know, just that in the middle of programing and would be nice to have or not have it..... Would love to see everything under the sun happen tomorrow, at the same time I have to stay solid under some level of firmware at some point to finish programming for this year.

Thanks again!

Curt

After mulling it over a bit. What I sugested about the background color effect channel would probably need the other two channels that were left because I'm sure some people would like the ability to control those background effects independantly (ie. speed & intensity) from the foreground.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

If you need to save channels for some future feature, I think a single channel with a named color option would work out.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I just thought to add the dazzle and twinkle because some people would probably like that functionality as well.

I also understand the reluctance to assign those remaining channels and saving them for some future unthought of application.

That said. If you were to implement the RGB background colors would they truly be in the background? Meaning you could use the RGB channels as well as the macros and they would supercede the background. This would give you the most flexabilty (IMO).

Darryl

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am at the same stage as the first poster in this thread. I am only seeing 16 channels on the Hardware Utility page also. I have been able to test my CCR using the console and the quickstart guide and I got it to work. However I am unable to get any of the Demo/Shared sequences to run.

What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the sequences open them in the sequence editor and nothing happen when I clik play. Can someone walk me through how to get a sequence to play on the CCR.

Much thanks,

Ron

When the CCR is shipped it is in legacy mode meaning it is using 10 unit id's. To use this way in the hardware utility you have to change the unit id for each 16 pixel section of the CCR. Starting at unit #1 through to unit A. To use the demo sequences you will have to change the CCR from legacy to normal mode ( meaning one unit id for the entire CCR ). To get there : In the hardware utility click on Configure then click on the CCR-config screen. This is on page 12 & 13 in the manual.

;) Darryl :)

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for replying, but I went through all of that config from the manual and updated the CCR. The Hardware Utility is showing Normal Mode selected and Unit ID 01.

Ron.

Now I understand!!

I have the same problem. In normal mode you can only control the first 16 channels of the CCR in the hardware utility. I just switch back to legacy mode when using the utility and all is good. :)

But I use normal mode for the demo sequences making sure the unit id is correct.

Darryl

1. Open sequence in editor.

2. Check channel properties for unit id #

3. Change your CCR id to match ( if different)

4. Make sure " control lights" is checked in the play tab of the sequence editor.

5. Press "Start this sequence" in the play tab or the green play arrow.

Have you used the sequence editor to play other sequences with standard L-O-R controllers? It might be your comm port is not configured.

Darryl

Thanks Darryl,

I will try those steps in the sequence editor.

I think my Com Port is configured correctly because I was able to get the CCR to work in the console mode, and the CCR controller is indicating with a steady red LED that it is talking to the software.

At the moment I don't have any standard LOR controllers connected only the CCR, but I will try one just for surety. I really appreciate your help on this my friend.

Ron.

Always glad to help! :)

Just because the hardware utility comunicates with your hardware does not always mean the sequence editor will. Some people, like myself, had to configure their comm port manually in the sequence editor.

See this topic

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum25/20260.html

Darryl

Hey Darryl,

I found the problem. I had the Hardware Utility window open in the background. When I closed it the demo sequences ran fine. Thanks for all your help friend.

Ron.