Light-O-Rama Forums

CAt 3 cable

Guest guest

a friend of mine just gave me some cat 3 cable and some standard phone cable in case I need it. Can I use either/both to run to my controller boxes boxes are these wires a waste to me?

True: You can use them with your controllers. Keep in mind, your distance between controllers will be reduced. Not a huge deal on smaller displays, but if you any sort of distance to cover, you will want CAT5.

And, for anyone who may have forgotten: Your connection from the computer to first controller needs to be CAT5.

Don wrote:

And, for anyone who may have forgotten: Your connection from the computer to first controller needs to be CAT5.

Does it really have to be cat5? Cat3 is still twisted pairs, just not to cat5 spec, and if RJ45 plugs were put on to Cat3 4 pair cable I would think it would work. Cat3 cable used to work just fine for 10baseT and is capable of data traffic up to 15Mhz up to 100 meters.

But I've never tested it.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Does it really have to be cat5? Cat3 is still twisted pairs, just not to cat5 spec, and if RJ45 plugs were put on to Cat3 4 pair cable I would think it would work. Cat3 cable used to work just fine for 10baseT and is capable of data traffic up to 15Mhz up to 100 meters.

That's a Dan question ... sorry!

Don wrote:

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

That's a Dan question ... sorry!
I have not done any testing but I would thing that Cat3 would have a range in the 3000' range.

So is it safe to say that under 200 feet - you can use most anything from the computer to the controller? There's a serious price difference in 200 feet of phone cable verses Cat5

I keep reading information regarding the thousands of feet these cables will run... Really I'm not running thousands of feet.

Tad

Tad wrote:

So is it safe to say that under 200 feet - you can use most anything from the computer to the controller? There's a serious price difference in 200 feet of phone cable verses Cat5

Tad,

If you are using a SC485 serial adaptor at the PC then you should try and keep the distance to the first controller under 100ft. If you are using Cat5 cable vs phone cable you may get more range. After the first controller, a 200ft run can be Cat5 or phone cable it will not matter much.

I will be using the new usb connector...
Does this change anything??

I was also being real generous at 200 feet.
I certainly will be well under 100ft...

I appreciate you comments Dan,
Tad

Tad wrote:

I will be using the new usb connector...
Does this change anything??

I was also being real generous at 200 feet.
I certainly will be well under 100ft...

Tad,

If you are using a USB485(:) then you need to stay within 2000 ft (for phone cable) 4000 ft (for cat5 ) to the first controller.

Here is the link to the Adapter User Guide (as found on the support page) http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/RS485_Adapters_Man_Web.pdf I should have presented this link earlier (sorry)...

I read through the manual when I first set things up but there is no direct reference that I noticed that plainly came out and said "you can you phone cable in lieu of cat5 to the first controller and between subsequent controllers."

Obviously, LOR has tested and can only reccomend the use of cat5- but if phone cord works... great.

I have a box of phone cable just waiting to be used & this would certainly say me the bucks on buying a cat5 run.

Tad

but if phone cord works... great

The reason Cat 5 cable works better is because it is "twisted pair" cable and is able to withstand quite a bit more noise than plain phone cord. It's also called UTP or Unshielded Twisted Pair.

Tom