Light-O-Rama Forums

Y2k vs Y10k question

Guest guest

Newbie here,

i guess we are all past the Y2K bug that everyone made such a big deal about. But now that i am trying to learn about this computer stuff and am planning on 160 channels of LOR for the first year out i have some concerns.

My question to the "O-wiser ones",

Are the LOR computer boxes Y10K compliant???? I am worried about wasting all my time and money in learning this LOR stuff and at midnight 9999-10,000 the boxes fail. (assuming most software has been written with only four digits for the year) Otherwise i'll just stand inside and flip the lightswitches on/off to the music in which case i may only suffer trigger finger syndrome vs a melt down of the computer boxes, ruin my shows, start a fire and increase my insurance premiums followed by the neighbors signing a petition to kick me out of the neighborhood once and for all. Anxiously awaiting your responses here at my talking picture box.

Thanks in advance

:devil:newbie

Dork, PA

ps....grammer geeks need not respond :P

Don't panic! Although many of the electronic devices in existence today are incapable of functioning after the start of 10000, rest assured that you will not need them. Besides the fact that electricity will be too expensive to purchase, you wouldn't be able to see the lights anyway, due to the blinding smog.

And, of course, there's the little matter that you will have died approximately 78 centuries prior, but lets assume the boxes have survived...

The year 10000 will be here in only 7994 years. If you take that number (7994) from our current year of 2006, you get a date somewhere around 6000 BC. What happened back then? Well, folks in Turkey were developing metallurgy techniques. In about 5650 BC, the Black Sea was formed. Sadly, though, television had not yet been developed.

Tom

LightORama wrote:

I will personally refund the purchase price (not adjusted for inflation) of any LOR product that does not function in the year 10,000 AD.

...and Dan that's why we love you.

The man stands behind his products! :D

Which is probably why he said that he would "personally" refund the purchase price.

JR V wrote:

Well I am not sure if Dan will be standing when that problem may arise. LOL

You mean you are not being burried with your LOR so you can use it in your afterlife? I know I am personally coming back to haunt family and friends. Maybe a ghost Christmas display would be cool.

I dont know Jen, you might not want to take an LOR controller from a dead man. He may come back and haunt ya at the most awkward time, (in the middle of a show).

I see a bumper sticker idea here... "You can have my LOR controller when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers"

Just doesn't sound really Christmasy. Perhaps a picture of an evergreen would help make it more cheerful. :D

Tom