Light-O-Rama Forums

My Sample Package is out

Guest guest

Ok everyone, I am now giving out 3 of my most popular sequences! They are packaged up in a .zip file with an .avi file of the sequence running in the sequence editor with the music so you can see how it matches up with the music. The .zip file is 89.1 MB so dial-up is not recomended it takes about 30 min on dsl and a little less with cable. Please remember that the sequences are free to use even at christmas time in front of the world you can use them, their is just one thing I am asking, if used you can not sell them and give credit to "A Williamsburg Christmas" in VA if asked. So enjoy!

http://tinyurl.com/jxow6

--Daniel L

I think your package is probably the best way to share what we've done - short of including a video of the decorations. Seeing the LOR sequence doesn't do much without the music and you can't share the music unless it's embedded in the video like you've done.

Daniel - would you mind sharing how you recorded the video of the sequence editor so that others can share as you have?

Thanks, Roger.

I used CamStudio, it was a free download that somone here posted the link to, but I cant tell you exactly where to get it. CamStudio records .aiv from your screen and has the ability to convert to .swf (shockwave).

Glad You liked it!

--Daniel L

It seems odd to me that it's OK to embed a song in a video, and distribute it freely, but not to distribute the song alone...

Just my opinion, but I think we're being a bit overly careful about the whole copyright thing. Of course, I agree, you can't sell a song that you have, but without the exact right version of the exact right song, ripped with the exact same method, the sequences all seem a bit useless.

Am I off the mark on this?

Matt

Mvipond wrote:

Of course, I agree, you can't sell a song that you have, but without the exact right version of the exact right song, ripped with the exact same method, the sequences all seem a bit useless.

Am I off the mark on this?

Matt

Not off the mark, in my opinion. I think, however, most people have seen the stories of RIAA going after grandma's who let their teenage daughter on the computer ... and she gets sued for it. Me? I'm just going to stay under the radar ...

Others might be willing to share their exact versions of the songs they use ... but I think they do so at their own risk.

I am having trouble playing the sample package. I saved it to the sequence folder after it was unzipped in light o rama and the folder where i store music. When I go to play the sequence it is coming up that there is an error playing the audio file. Any suggestions or steps I should take that I might have missed?

Thanks,

Blair

Yes, they are. The RIAA as well as most other big companies holding copyrights to images, movies etc. are getting ridiculous with all of these suits.
It's one thing to go after major infringers that burn copies and sell them to others, it's quite another to squeeze every last cent out of anybody that they can possibly find to rake over the coals. They know that they got you too, because they have deep pockets and you don't. You'll either settle with them for a few thousand or you'll spend many times that defending yourself in court. And they generally sue in a major city like NY, LA etc. So not only do you have to defend yourself in a place that is in most instances, far from where you live, but you'll be doing it in a place that costs major money for an attorney. Scumbags.......

sysco wrote:

I am having trouble playing the sample package. I saved it to the sequence folder after it was unzipped in light o rama and the folder where i store music. When I go to play the sequence it is coming up that there is an error playing the audio file. Any suggestions or steps I should take that I might have missed?

Thanks,

Blair

The audio is not included! Due to copyright stuff, I am not getting into that mess. You can see the sequences play with the audio in the three movies but that is all I can/am going to do with music distrubition.

--Daniel L

Here is my 2 cents on the whole sharing thing.

1) No-one here is selling/reselling songs (that I am aware of).

2) the nature of this forum tends to make friends of many members. As evidence of this, just look into the mini-plus events popping up all over. It was my understanding that friends can share.

3) Much of the media used in shows is edited down from it's original form, therefore no longer under copyright protection (IMHO)

Here are two options for sharing

a) Since some have already hosted share sites, let them sync up with dan so that only PC members can sign-in. Do not show any link on the new site to PC. That way, the only folks that know about it are already PC members. Also, do not give any indication of how to sign-up on the new site. This is similar to the security measure of sending the username and password in separate e-mails. Any non-PC member who stumbles across the web site would be prompted for a username/password without any explanation of what the site is. In addition, there would be no mechanism to add a login name. IF members want the link, they would need to personal chat with a member on this site to get it.

:P If folks are not comfortable uploading video or audio to a website, let them post the sequences online and post a PC contact so that interested parties can contact them for the audio portions off-line.

That's it for now.