Light-O-Rama Forums

Disco Ball

Guest guest

Anyone ever try a disco ball with slowly alternating colored pinspots to reflect onto the house? Trying to think of different looks with my simple 16-channel setup, and thought that might be a neat randomly used backdrop.

G'day kingshootr,

I have an 18" (from memory) disco ball mounted inside the garage as part of my Winter Wonderland scene for the last couple of years. I use one of my DMX controlled lights to select different up to 16 colours that reflect off the ball. It looks really good and gives the illusion of snow around the area. There's enough reflection off it to create the effect across part of our driveway as well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

davidt

That's why I love you people, somebody always has the answer!!!

BTW, how does the Belkin transmitter work? That is my next thing to do and am investigating everything I can find. Thx.

Dale W wrote:

Light Flurries ( http://www.lightflurries.com ) manufactures a disco ball and light similiar to what you are posting about. With a minor modification, you could make it change colors. Or you could purchase their new flood colorswheel option (new for 2006).

Thanks for the info, BTW your site mentions a snow machine - just wondering what, if any, residue is created when the snow "goes away" (evaporates, dries???) Thx.

davidt wrote:

G'day kingshootr,

I have an 18" (from memory) disco ball mounted inside the garage as part of my Winter Wonderland scene for the last couple of years. I use one of my DMX controlled lights to select different up to 16 colours that reflect off the ball. It looks really good and gives the illusion of snow around the area. There's enough reflection off it to create the effect across part of our driveway as well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

davidt

Our display uses two (2) snow machines mounted on either side of the roof. The snow leaves a clear-shinny spot where the snow flake (suds) land. The spots wash off the cars 100% with the garden hose. We washed the cars off every night and had no problems with our or neighbors cars for the entire season.

As a side note, I connected each snow machine to a different frequency radio control (from Radio Shack) and had a blast quietly standing next to visitors who were certain that they could predict the timing of the next snow fall.

Yep we have an Antari snow machine that we shipped in from the US 2 years ago. We use diluted bubble bath mixture which does leave a bit of a residue in the driveway, but it washes away after a few rainfalls. If it is raining, while we are creating snow, then it can be a bit slippery but as most people stay in their cars (when it is raining) the risk is lowered. The only other problem we had last year was when 2 young children got some of the snow (bubble bath) in their eyes, so we made sure we have a bucket of water nearby that they can rinse their eyes if needed. Apart from those minor problems the snow machine is a real winner with the visitors.

The snow machine is also DMX controlled, so I am really looking forward to Dan releasing the DMX > LOR interface so that we can synchronise the snowfalls with the rest of the show.

Cheers,

davidt