Light-O-Rama Forums

Oh, the Orbit boxes have a GFI built in...

Guest guest

Went to my local Home Depot today, and lo and behold, they are stocking the Orbit boxes. Shelf price is 29.99. I thought this was a little more than I wanted to spend on a plastic box with a rubber seal, then I noticed the GFI duplex outlet.

I assume I can rip that out and use it. Anyone happen to know if it's rated as 20 amp feed-through like most? (15 amp for receptacles, 20 amp for feed/circuit). This has a real value to me of around $9.33, since I needed to buy one for each circuit anyway. Makes the box cost only $20.67... that I can handle.

They only had 6 on the shelf (looked like that was their starting inventory level), I'm going to need 8. Should I gamble to see if I can get an end-of-season clearance price? There are at least 5 Home Depots within comfortable driving distance. Probably not worth the gamble considering gas prices.

In summary:

1) Can I reuse the GFI's in a standard electrical box?

2) Are they 20 amp feed through?

3) What kind of discount does Home Depot use on end-of-summer clearance items typically?

Thanks!

Moving Target in NC

movtarget wrote:

In summary:

1) Can I reuse the GFCI's in a standard electrical box?

2) Are they 20 amp feed through?

3) What kind of discount does Home Depot use on end-of-summer clearance items typically?

Answers:

1) Most likely. Show us a picture.

2) I am not sure, it would depend on the outlet itself. If the outlet itself is 20 amps then it will probably have a 20 amp feed through.

3) The most common is 10%, I have seen them go up to 25%. You may have to be on close lookout though, because usually they only give good discounts to their seasonal items.

For extra protection, give your LOR boxes the GFI! Just wire a plug to the input on the outlet for power, and now, you can youse your controllers on an inside circut without worrying about water!

--Daniel L

They'll do a price match/beat right on the spot. no need to purchase and take back. They can do it at the register. that's what I did for my 3.

HD had them for 25.99

Lowes had them for 28.99

Lowes gave em to me at the register for $25.69.....if i did my math right. :)

that's right. it is (and was). it has been awhile since i bought them. i was using the Best buy / Circuit City pricematch where they only give 10% of the difference.

so i guess i got them for $23.39 each.

llbarnes wrote:

So you went through the hassle of buying it then taking it back adn showing the other lower price????

I think the way it works is that you tell the store before you buy and then they will sell it at the lower price.

TED

Gotcha,

Well, I went the purchase first route just to make sure they did the difference plus 10%. Paid for the Tax basically.

Now I may end up taking them back since I don't find them to be very water tight at all. Uuuugghhh.