Light-O-Rama Forums

Selling your Sequences?

Guest guest

Folks,

I've seen quite a few other threads about shring sequences and about the collection of sequences on the PC Wiki.

But, here's another thouhgt about a business model for "selling" sequences. Instead of youy providing the music and the sequence, how about:

a) I provide the song I want to use (the copyright issue is then my responsibility)

B) I provide a graphical layout of where my channels are located in the yard as well as what each channel is planned to be (lawn, garland, tree, etc)

You compose the sequence for me for $X per minute of music (based on 16 channels). price goes up by some multiple (e.g. 1.5) for a 32-channel sequence, etc.

Thoughts? Off to the Wiki to see if I can find/borrow my first 16-channel sequence.

The free portion of the website is 50% complete. It has easy, one step uploading so you can browse to your file, type in the description, license for use, artist, title, channels, and even optional fields such as your name, linking a picture, video, and/or website! More fields will come such as artist and CD name. Am I missing anything else? Is it too complicated? The form below is still under development, so there are some details to clean up.

For those interested in sharing, PM me and I'll get you access to get your files up before the site goes live.

For those of you interested in selling, PM me and I'll add you to mailling list. Store development will come much later after the free portion is live, so I'll email you if/when I am ready to start collecting your sequences. I have not started development on this, and I am not sure if I will or not.

There were several great suggestions throughout the discussion of this topic, and I will work on implementing those as I have time.

DrHitch wrote:

Folks,

I've seen quite a few other threads about shring sequences and about the collection of sequences on the PC Wiki.

But, here's another thouhgt about a business model for "selling" sequences. Instead of youy providing the music and the sequence, how about:

a) I provide the song I want to use (the copyright issue is then my responsibility)

B) I provide a graphical layout of where my channels are located in the yard as well as what each channel is planned to be (lawn, garland, tree, etc)

You compose the sequence for me for $X per minute of music (based on 16 channels). price goes up by some multiple (e.g. 1.5) for a 32-channel sequence, etc.

Thoughts? Off to the Wiki to see if I can find/borrow my first 16-channel sequence.

This could easily be implemented with store, if I ever develop it.

site1.jpg
site2.jpg

I can post more pics later.

1st to llbarnes: I would live to see your Disney sequences when you complete them

2nd: I love the idea of the Website to share or sell sequences. this should be soley dependent on the creator. (with no music because of copyright)

HOWEVER.

I am more for a public domain type environment. with a few stipulations.

users who download a sequence MUST upload a sequence to share. that way everyone has to add to the list to make the site worth coming to. also, I feel that you get what you give. EX: you can only download the same channel size and time size sequnce that you up load. This way those who have worked really hard on longer more extensive sequences get the benefit of finding similar size and channel sequences. does that make sense or am i being to picky?

Scot Meyers wrote:

users who download a sequence MUST upload a sequence to share. that way everyone has to add to the list to make the site worth coming to. also, I feel that you get what you give. EX: you can only download the same channel size and time size sequnce that you up load. This way those who have worked really hard on longer more extensive sequences get the benefit of finding similar size and channel sequences. does that make sense or am i being to picky?

Well it depends. Such functionality could be built in, but it would take a lot of extra coding. And keep in mind, the people who will find this resource the most useful may be newbies. But they probably won't/can't/don't have anything to upload yet. They want to learn how to do it first. Do you agree?

I personally wouldn't put in such restrictions for that reason. However, there's no reason why I couldn't have a newbies area and a members area that could have tighter restrictions. Honestly, the site will evolve into whatever it evolves into. My main goal is to get it up and running, so the site will be extremely simplistic to start. Once the site is running, I am more than happy to entertain feature requests.

I know no one has seen the site yet, but feel free to make requests if you have an ideas that could make the site better.

Here is the technical answer: (Read only if interested.)
The rules you suggest for downloading/uploading would take about 2-3 months of extra coding/testing to go live, and possibly more depending on how complex the rules are. This is because I would have to code the entire logic system for every possible case of how many uploaded vs. how many downloaded vs. how many channels vs. what they are authorized to do. It’s certainly not impossible, but my coding would have to be good enough to catch every single possible combination. If you limit this logic to max 30 uploads, max 30 downloads, and max 96 channels, there are over 10,000 different possible cases/combinations that could occur. This takes a lot of time to plan and serious coding to make sure every possibility is covered. For you non-coders, this doesn’t mean I have to have 10,000 logic rules, it just means there are a lot of overlapping variables which makes efficient logic rules complex and time consuming to generate.

Ya Know I was thinking about this after I posted and it makes no since to cause restictions like that . After all we are all here to help each other. I would leave it a free public domain site if you can.

No, the site is currently limited to LOR sequences only, but for any and every occasion.

I already have several people willing to share some sequences, so a big THANK YOU to those folks. The website launch will have quite a few good sequences ready to go! For those of you waiting for the temporary link to upload your work, it should be ready mid-next week.

I am also buidling a links section for Christmas related, LOR, and personal christmas websites. If you know a good site or have a personal webspace you'd like linked, please PM me with the link and short, paragraph "plug" to be posted with your link.

Again, thank you to those who have pledged their help already! We are currently on schedule to launch before August, but I can't make any promises.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

Is the lauch of the sequence sharing site still on schedule to open up by August 1 or before?

Thanks and I hope I have something to contribute as well!

I am going to release the URL this weekend (hopefully Sunday.) Since I have become involved with 2 separate LOR presentations and a website for the Chicago Mini-PLUS, I am woefully behind. However, the sequence sharing section works great! I have decided to release the URL and let the site develop.

Most of those who wanted to share something early haven't posted yet, so we are lacking in sequences. The good news is I hope people will upload, and we will have some fantastic articles pertaining to channel layout, design, and sequencing when I finish the mini-PLUS presentation material early September.

I am also working with a first time LOR user for his display. This means we will have video, photos, and details from beginning to end of the planning, design, channels, charts, considerations, sequencing, setup (hopefully as I am 2.5 hours away), and the final product. Content on this should start mid-August or sooner. Obviously, I can only post on this as we complete the tasks. However, come January we should have a great resource for the newbies who start afterwards. As always, y'all are always welcome to submit content as well.

When the URL is released, let me know if the website seems to run slow occasionally. I have noticed problems with this, so I need to know if it's my connection or if I need to switch web hosts.

For those of you wondering, there will not be a store. I have more than enough to keep me busy through this season and afterwards.

**Edit a few grammar errors**

Looks good.

I know you have song title and other info but it would be nice if there was a link directly to the album on amazon.com - This way you would not have search for it and usually on amazon.com you can listen to a small preview of the song before purchase.

Also it would be a good idea to have the amazon.com link be an affiliate link so you could get a small kickback if somebodys buys the CD through your link.

One suggestion I have to have a field in the description on the download page for each sequence that shows how many channels it is programmed for...

Looks very nice....

Thanks, Randy

Randy wrote:

One suggestion I have to have a field in the description on the download page for each sequence that shows how many channels it is programmed for...

Looks very nice....

Thanks, Randy

It does show the number of channels. The intro page has very little information, but if you click on the title you get the full description, number of channels, artist, etc. Did you want to see the number of channels listed on the intro page as well? I am just trying to keep the intro short and less cluttered so we can list more per page.

PM me if you still need Chicago Mini-PLUS info or the contact info to sign up.

You should start a new post announcing that the site is open. It may lead to more traffic and hopefully some submissions.

I was surprised that nobody submitted anything yet. Looks good though!