Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween Pumpkin Choir

VespaGuy

The summer zipped right by - it's hard to believe falls almost here. I may be getting a late start, but I'm thinking of putting together my first Halloween Light-O-Rama display this year. I've already got a bunch of pumpkins ready to go, but I have a few questions for anyone who has made a pumpkin chorus display before.

- What kind of lighting do you use for inside the pumpkins?

- Is there any way to use Light-O-Rama for motion control? I am going to attempt to use a hacked skull using a simple DC adapter to open/close the mouth (power=open;no power = closed). I'm fairly new to this, so I know next to nothing about servos, etc. I was just looking for a simple motion controller that could be used for back/forth single axis movement (make a tombstone or pumpkin sway to the song).

Thanks!! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the info!

I just ordered a 16 channel set from Light-O-Rama to get started and I've already begun playing with the software.

I opened a Gemmy skull and connected a DC adapter directly to the DC motor. Plug it in, the mouth opens; unplug it, the mouth closes. I imagine that I should be able to plug this in just like a light now as opposed to using a DC card, right?

Any feedback on what type of lights/bulb people use in pumpkin choirs? Standard bulbs? Candelabra bulbs? Floods?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the info. I got my Light-O-Rama set and so far, so good. I've been testing the Gemmy skull with a simple wall adapter and it's been working pretty good, but I'll look into the DC card. (I'm admittedly ignorant of electronics, so I'm a little hesitant to spend money on something that I may not have any idea how to use.)

BobinFL - So, candelabra bulbs are the way to go. What are you using to hold them? Are you using something standard, or did you hack something (like one of those christmas "candles")

Two months to go! I'm hoping to have two songs programmed by then with a pumpkin chorus with at least one skull accompaniment.

VespaGuy wrote:

. . . Any feedback on what type of lights/bulb people use in pumpkin choirs? Standard bulbs? Candelabra bulbs? Floods?

Thanks again!

How about plain old christmas lights. I think I have around ten pumpkins and have used the odds and ends out of my spare light tub. You can use a sharpie to color clear bulbs if you want color.