Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Networks

Denny

To try and eliminate some of the problems I had last year, I thought I would try to use multiple networks this year, i.e., one for the ELLs, one for DMX, and the third for the wired controllers. I assume that I will need a separate adapter for each network; correct? Since I already have an SC485-RJ45 Serial Adapter and a USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster, can I mix the types of adapters on the computer and purchase a third adapter for the third network? Would there be any preference of type of adapter to use for the different networks, other than the RS485 with booster for the ELLs? The user manual seems rather vague on this issue, the only reference I see to Networks is on page 100 of the manual.

Denny,

From my reading and understanding you should be fine with the plan you have. As long as your computer will support the adapters should not matter on the mix and match. I agree with you on using the USB485B for the ELLs.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I thought this was correct but figured I would run it across the forum first. There have been so many changes to LOR over the past year, it's difficult to keep up with them at times, until you want to use one of the new features. I built a new computer this past year with LOR in mind. I made sure the mother board had serial and parallel port capabilities as well as "umpteen" USB ports to allow for future expansion and ease of use with LOR.