Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic Cosmic Color Ribbon Questions

John Hertig

Sorry, I've been out for a while due to work and family medical problems. In fact, I even managed to forget there was going to be a Summer Sale.

The Sale notification mentions the new CCR, but not a lot of information is provided on the site or in the LOR forum (at least not that I could find with a simple search).

I presume this unit can be controlled by existing LOR or PC controllers? Connected via CAT5/phone cable like any other controller?

It is not clear how many channels it will take up. The information seems to indicate a 'varying number' (1, 2, ... 50, 150). How exactly would we integrate this into an existing network and the Showtime software (I'm not sure how practical it would be to change the number of channels during a sequence and it would seem obnoxious to define 150 channels for it and mostly only use a few of the channels)?

Thanks for this new product. It appears that it might be a significant advance over its competitor.

Thank you for the hint. However, the additional forum entries do not seem to answer my questions. There was some discussion on programming the FireFly, but hopefully the CR150D will be less tedious, especially considering that it has many more pixels (possible) and 'varying' number of pixels. And how do you program the 'macros'?

Thanks, that thread seems to be the place for the answers, despite the name. My first question was answered, and many other people are looking for the answer to my second.

Depends on what you want to do.

If you don't have the new level of software, you can address each of the 50 segments with 3 channels (one for each color). With the new software, you can specify the color with 1 channel, or 50, total. This allows you to do anything the strip can do, but you have to program it yourself.

There are also 7 additional channels which control macros, so you could do a lot of 'preprogrammed' stuff with only 7 channels.

So, you can 'completely' control it with 57 (new software) channels. Or 'partially' control it with fewer channels (depending on how many 'chunks' you plan to split the ribbon into (min 1, max 50).

• The topic was locked