Light-O-Rama Forums

Cosmic Color Ribbon Videos

LightORamaDan

LightORamaDan wrote:

The Cosmic Color Ribbon (CCR) is the first RGB product from LOR. The CCR will be supported in the S2 software when we ship the product. Software support will include various things including the concept of a RGB channel and the ability to choose colors for that channel.

Dan

To make sure I am understanding you, when the CCR ships, there will be by that time a version of the Software available for download which will allow specifying color with 1 channel (meaning complete control of the CCR with a max of 57 channels) and all 57 channels with the same controller ID, correct?

Will it include the ability to add CCR(s) to the Visualizer display without too much tedium, and show a reasonable approximation of the behavior of each CCR as the sequence runs through the Visualizer?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• HowardShank

• brianfox

• tsrail

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Would it be possible to place one CCR on two pieces of PVC to create two mini arches from one ribbon versus just one arch? The reason I ask is that I have a fairly small yard and I'm not sure If I have room for two 16' arches. I was thinking about two 8' pieces of PVC. Would the ribbon be flexible enough to bend like this? I'm not sure how the pre-set effects would work in this configuration, but I thought I would ask just the same.

I too would like to have smaller arches. Can the cable be cut and extended with four lead wire and resealed? I hear "Void warranty" coming!

Anyone else wondering why 50 was selected instead or 32(96) or 64(192) pixels?

Do two ribbons chasing end to end look like a continuous effect?

Well... it was offered (by Dan I think, no... I'm wrong. It is a note in the manual) that there is a 'cut' line between the individual RGB modules that make up the ribbon where you can split the ribbon, but at the sacrifice of the warranty on the ribbon.

It has also been mentioned that there is the capability for 'daisy-chaining' ribbons, but this is not being offered at present as LOR has not found a water tight connector that they are comfortable with yet.

So... I'd like to offer a thought for consideration by the LOR crew... Since there is obviously a seal on the one end where the ribbon connects to the controller, might LOR consider offering a option to get the ribbon configured in two eight foot sections hard linked (wired) between the two segments using the same seal that is being used for the controller cable?

I also think this would be brilliant for arches, but as others have observed the arches are visually better in multiples.

...and as much as I might like to, I know my budget is not going to allow for more than one of these this season. :)

Which then also brings the thought, is there a macro mode that would allow one to program the two segments as independant units? (for non-synchronous effects, etc.) or would you have to take direct control of the pixels?

John Hertig wrote:

To make sure I am understanding you, when the CCR ships, there will be by that time a version of the Software available for download which will allow specifying color with 1 channel (meaning complete control of the CCR with a max of 57 channels) and all 57 channels with the same controller ID, correct?

Will it include the ability to add CCR(s) to the Visualizer display without too much tedium, and show a reasonable approximation of the behavior of each CCR as the sequence runs through the Visualizer?

Yes on 57 channels and yes on one unit ID.

We are working on the visualizer, but this is tough. The ribbon's actual shape could be almost anything, an arch, wrapped on a tree like garland, used to wall wash, outline an arbitrary shape, ... It's also likely that macro/color effects will lead the PC software.

jwilling wrote:

Which then also brings the thought, is there a macro mode that would allow one to program the two segments as independant units? (for non-synchronous effects, etc.) or would you have to take direct control of the pixels?

This is what I would like to do. I plan on buying 2 CCR's and making 4 8-foot arches. I'm not worried about cutting them as I'll have two sets of two arches and each set will be right next to each other (two 8 foot pvc pipes in two arches next to each other and 1 16 foot CCR over both arches).

It would be nice to operate the one CCR as two virtual arches. If that is not possible, I know I can take direct control but I'm afraid of what that will entail.

JeffBlan wrote:

... I plan on buying 2 CCR's and making 4 8-foot arches. I'm not worried about cutting them as I'll have two sets of two arches and each set will be right next to each other (two 8 foot pvc pipes in two arches next to each other and 1 16 foot CCR over both arches)....

It would be nice to operate the one CCR as two virtual arches. If that is not possible, I know I can take direct control but I'm afraid of what that will entail.

I agree. This is what I plan on doing also. I am going to have 2 CCR's to make 4 Arches and the arches will butt right up against each other at the mid point.

It would be nice to get an option with the two already split with a more flexible cable in the middle so there's less twisting and bending and offers the ability to give 4-12 inches in length between them.

JeffBlan wrote:

This is what I would like to do. I plan on buying 2 CCR's and making 4 8-foot arches. I'm not worried about cutting them as I'll have two sets of two arches and each set will be right next to each other (two 8 foot pvc pipes in two arches next to each other and 1 16 foot CCR over both arches).

I had thought of doing this as well, only using 1 CCR to make 2 8-foot arches. However I'm just not sure how well you'll be able to bend the ribbon at the midway point.

I think my explanation may be difficult to understand, but I'll try to explain how I'm going to make 2 - 8' arches out of one with a twist.

On the face of my arches I'm going to attach the strip facing forward and adhere to the 3 foot flex ability on the plane. In the middle where the two arches will meet, I plan on slightly rotating the strip, as it reaches the end, so that I can make the 3 inch bend from one arch to another.

I guess probably the best way to think about it is like this. Take a bow made out of a ribbon as an example. A bow exhibits the same properties as the CCR will have. Flexible one way but not very flexible the other (on the plane). So if you slightly rotate it as you make the bend you can get it to flow from one angle to another with little to no stress.

Howard,

I'd be interested in seeing your arches once you get them assembled. I'm pretty sure I understand how you would get the ribbon from one arch to the other, but I'd like to see your application completed if possible.

Garrison

Once delivered and setup I'll be happy to post pics.

Maybe I can find something around home that I can use as a mock up.

I have not seen this question asked, if I missed it I am sorry...

The macros seem to be the real power here. Will a user be able to define their own macros? If so this is great news...

I ordered mine the first hour of the sale... When do you think CCR will be ready to start shipping?? I am speaking in general terms here not just my order... Speaking in broad terms... Like for example.. "We expect shipments to begin in August."

melwelch wrote:

I have not seen this question asked, if I missed it I am sorry...

The macros seem to be the real power here. Will a user be able to define their own macros? If so this is great news...

I ordered mine the first hour of the sale... When do you think CCR will be ready to start shipping?? I am speaking in general terms here not just my order... Speaking in broad terms... Like for example.. "We expect shipments to begin in August."

At least for now people will not be able to define their own macros. We will be looking for input on ideas for more macros to add to the controller.

Shipping will begin in the later part of August.

Dan

Dan/John,

I have a few questions:

1) The manual states that the cable from the ribbon to the controller is 6' long. Can this be extended so I don't have to place controllers outside?
2) What is the maximum number of "cuts" you can make from one ribbon?
3) I see the "cut kits" include a 6" cable with connector and sealer. If I cut one ribbon in half, will that then allow me to connect the two separate pieces back together and perhaps make a 90 degree turn around a window or perhaps twist it around a prop?
4) If I wanted to cut the ribbon several times can I buy separate controllers for each cut piece?
5) Do you have the ability to house the ribbon in a frosted type silicon tube rather than a clear tube so that the pixels would blur from a distant viewing position?
6) Or if not, could the existing tube slide into a pre-made frosted tube without further heat buildup?
7) The chart shows that one ribbon has 128 available intensities, two ribbons have 64 available intensities and three or more ribbons have 32 available intensities. So is it safe to say that the maximum of twenty ribbons will still have 32 available intensities?
8) What is the measurement between the three LED's that make up one physical pixel?

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

Dan/John,

I have a few questions:

1) The manual states that the cable from the ribbon to the controller is 6' long. Can this be extended so I don't have to place controllers outside?
2) What is the maximum number of "cuts" you can make from one ribbon?
3) I see the "cut kits" include a 6" cable with connector and sealer. If I cut one ribbon in half, will that then allow me to connect the two separate pieces back together and perhaps make a 90 degree turn around a window or perhaps twist it around a prop?
4) If I wanted to cut the ribbon several times can I buy separate controllers for each cut piece?
5) Do you have the ability to house the ribbon in a frosted type silicon tube rather than a clear tube so that the pixels would blur from a distant viewing position?
6) Or if not, could the existing tube slide into a pre-made frosted tube without further heat buildup?
7) The chart shows that one ribbon has 128 available intensities, two ribbons have 64 available intensities and three or more ribbons have 32 available intensities. So is it safe to say that the maximum of twenty ribbons will still have 32 available intensities?
8) What is the measurement between the three LED's that make up one physical pixel?

1) We don't know if this cable can be extended. It's probably not a good idea as the signals are in the 100s of KHz and are 5 v logic, not differential.

2) Theoretically you could cut the ribbon into 50 pixels. Each pixel controller IC regenerates th signal to the next guy.

3) Yes.

4) We have no plans to sell controllers without the ribbons. Hadn't actually given it any thought.

5,6,8) You could put the ribbon inside a frosted tube to disperse the light. Frosting the rectangular silicone tube would not help because the leds are right up against it and separated by 1.3".

7) yes

John,

Thanks for the answers. I have one follow up question. If you suggest that we can cut the ribbon to create two or more separate ribbons, then why wouldn't you offer controllers for them?

It seems reasonable to me. I can see a lot of use for these items on props.

Charles

This question has probably been asked but I haven't seen it. Can you use more than one ribbon on the controller? Thanks

Linda,

This is from page eleven of the users manual:

4) "Although the controller supports end-to-end ribbons, they will not be sold initially due to weatherproofing considerations. When we find a way to do this reasonable, extension cables and power supplies will be offered to use with your original ribbon.

5) The theoretical limit on the number of end-to-end connected ribbons is 20. "

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

3) Where are the 'cut kits'? I see they are mentioned in the manual. But I don't see them for sale anywhere

• 3 weeks later...

busheymotorsports wrote:

I can't get the videos to play on the LOR website?????

use explorer not firefox...just had the same problem but they played in explorer

• The topic was locked