Light-O-Rama Forums

Silicone Mineral Spirits- Yum

Guest guest

I was talking with the father-in-law about protecting the LOR boards and how everyone has found different sprays & dips to apply to the PCB and help protect it.

He shared that while working with PCB's he had learned about a method of protecting the boards that seems pretty easy.

Dispense a portion of silicone caulk in a bowl and thin with mineral spirits until the consistency is brushable (you control how thick or thin it is). The mineral spirits evaporate away and leave the silicone in place.

To remove it, just use more mineral spirits-

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

Tad wrote:

I was talking with the father-in-law about protecting the LOR boards and how everyone has found different sprays & dips to apply to the PCB and help protect it.

He shared that while working with PCB's he had learned about a method of protecting the boards that seems pretty easy.

Dispense a portion of silicone caulk in a bowl and thin with mineral spirits until the consistency is brushable (you control how thick or thin it is). The mineral spirits evaporate away and leave the silicone in place.

To remove it, just use more mineral spirits-

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

TAD,

I see no reason to even consider coating a LOR board. If you have it in an outdoor box you will not have a problem. I have never heard of anyone here ever having a problem using LOR outdoors.

Also keep in mind that if you have problems and do coat it, I would think that would void any warranty you might have on an LOR board. Plus you are in FL where you should be find.

I think that is why we place them in "water proof" boxes.

However, we have talked about coating the boards on strobes and Krylon makes a spray for just that purpose. In fact it was tested by a PC member by placing it in water for an extended period of time and worked perfectly.

Just paranoid I guess. I surely wouldn't want to void my warranty. I guess my mindset was to protect at all cost. (These things aren't exactly cheap ya know...)

I just returned from vacation to find my LOR order waiting for me. And honestly, after opening the box and actually laying hands on the boards- the last thing I think I want to do now is smearing any sort of thing on them.

Tom- Great pdf- will be adding it to my folder of "goodness" to keep for reference.

Thanks guys for the good practical advice.
Tad

Also TAD, you need to be careful if you do use silicone caulk on/around circuit boards, etc.

The silicone that smells like vinegar when it cures is corrosive over time to electronic circuits.

You need to use a silicone caulk that has a neutral ph when it sets.

Like the others have said, i would not recommend coating your LOR boards with anything.

I live near buffalo NY, where we get a fair amount of snow and ice, and simply have my boards enclosed in plastic, weatherproof enclosures. Also, I do not have any internal C7 or C9 bulbs to heat the enclosure and boards.

My experience has taught me there is no need to do that, even with sub zero temperatures.

Greg