Light-O-Rama Forums

Question on the CTB16PC ready to go

bdeditch

I purchased last year a LOR1602W. Can I add the CTB16PC to it without a lot of hassle?

E.G. When I run the Cat 5 cable from the 1602 to the CTB16 will my software pick it up or is there something special I would have to do?

The only thing you will have to do differently is use the hardware utility to configure the device ID, instead of using the dials to set the ID. Other than that, you most likely won't notice the difference..

Just to the right of the RJ-45 jacks on the 1602W are a pair of rotary switches. They configure the unit ID that they will respond to. With just one unit, it was probably set to unit 1 at the factory, and as long as that matched the configuration in your sequence you were good to go. If you added a second 1602W, you would have to set the second one to a different ID, and use the ID configured on the controller in the channel configuration in the sequence editor. With a CTB16PC, there are no dials. You set the ID by connecting just one controller to your PC, and use the hardware utility to set the unit ID of the controller. I'm not aware of any cases of the controllers loosing their ID once they are set.

For the location of the rotary switches that set the unit ID on the 1602W, take a look at figure one here:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/LOR160xW_Man_Web.pdf

-klb- wrote:

Just to the right of the RJ-45 jacks on the 1602W are a pair of rotary switches. They configure the unit ID that they will respond to. With just one unit, it was probably set to unit 1 at the factory, and as long as that matched the configuration in your sequence you were good to go. If you added a second 1602W, you would have to set the second one to a different ID, and use the ID configured on the controller in the channel configuration in the sequence editor. With a CTB16PC, there are no dials. You set the ID by connecting just one controller to your PC, and use the hardware utility to set the unit ID of the controller. I'm not aware of any cases of the controllers loosing their ID once they are set.

For the location of the rotary switches that set the unit ID on the 1602W, take a look at figure one here:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/LOR160xW_Man_Web.pdf

OK I see, so if I was just to buy 2 more of the same 1602 it is basically a plug and play?

With the 1602W, you have to get a small screwdriver, and set unique ID numbers to each of the 1602W's.. Otherwise all three will do exactly the same thing as each other.

Using the hardware utility to set the ID is easy, and in my mind less prone to making mistakes than reading the small numbers on the ID configuration switches.