Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Flood Strip...Interested?

Ponddude

Ok, that is very impressive to say the least. What do you estimate to be the final cost per board if a bulk purchase is done?

Now I haev to make myself look stupid. How do you run a DC board with an AC show? I understand all the LOR stuff, but I am lost when it comes to different currents and mixing them together.

Chris

Chris,

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Lets start with your first one. It looks like the cost of these should be around $30-$35. As usual with PCB's, the more you buy the lower the price. Same goes with the components. The kicker here is the cost of the LED's themselves. The reason I use Superflux LED's rather then regular LED's is simply because of the light distribution and the amount of light these put out. I would probably need double or triple the amount of LED's if I were to have used regular LED's.

Now for the power. Right now these will be controlled with either the LOR DC controller, which will allow you to do all the effects that regular lights can do. (fade, twinkle, shimmer, etc.) However, if you wanted to just have these on all the time, distributing white light, then you could use a 12volt wall adapter to power the strips. That will not allow you to do any of the effects though. I will say this now...these strips can not be power from direct AC current at all. The boards are not designed for that and the LED's will not handle the voltage at all.

A future board design I am working on will allow you to hook these up directly to the iDMX and do all same effects via DMX protocols. However, that is most likely not going to happen this year but will allow us another leave of control.

You got me excited now. Last year, I used a long flower pot (window box type) and mounted some MR16 DC lights in it to make a flood. It worked pretty well; I think these might even work better. I still have ten of the flower boxes left too. You don't have to take a picture, but do you think maybe you could see how much light one would reflect off a wall from a distance of about six feet or so? Just wondering if it would it be effective that way or better hung on the eave as in your picture.

Thanks,

Denny

I certainly could do that Denny. I will do that tomorrow along with the video. I also will place these on the ground and show you the effect of lighting up the wall instead of down.

Those look great.

What is the wattage of the superFlux LED's that you are using? I had put together a light using (9) 1 watt Luxeon stars; (3) red + (3) blue + (3) green. They have an integral heatsink/mounting base. I screwed these to an aluminum bar and mounted them in a flood enclosure. The issue I ran into is that the aluminum bar got too hot to hold after about 20 mins. The heat was coming from the led's. The resistors weren't the source.

Are the LED's you have kicking out much heat?

The LED's aren't putting out any heat at all. If memory servers correct, the star LED's that I have seen have the resistors built right in. That is probably why they put out so much heat. I'm also not 100% sure on the wattage of the LED's either because the website I got them from does not have any spec sheets.

These are great! I'd love to try it out when you are ready to place an order. I'll have to see how many I'd be interested in an how my bank account looks at the time...

As promised here is the video. First I show you the set up followed by the actual lights in action. They go through all 4 main colors, (R,G,B & W) as well as all the effects. (Fade, Twinkle & Shimmer). Also attached here are the pictures that Denny requested. These pictures were taken from a good 20' away from the wall. (probably more). The unfortunate thing is the fact that I don't have a good place to put these on my house right now. The trees at the corner's of my house won't have their leaves on them during Christmas, but right now there are bushes in the way...sorry about that. I also picked up the fluorescent tube covers. These work PERFECTLY!! I put the strips at each end of the tub and a 2ft CAT-5 cable inbetween each board. I couldn't ask for them to work any better then they do, so thanks to whoever suggested that.

DSC_1135.jpg

DSC_1143.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

DSC_1124.jpg

DSC_1121.jpg

DSC_1128.jpg

Very cool... All sorts of thoughts race thru the mind after watching the video.

Will be watching your progress with great antici....

...pation!

(sorry... had a RHPS flashback all of a sudden...)

Gads, that's almost a bad pun in itself!

-jim

Yep...your absolutely right however I am not on the staff of LOR so I had no idea this product was coming. I am very interested to see a video and see the light output that the CR150D puts out. The LED's they are using don't seem like they will wash a wall like these lights will. This is just an option. I am not forcing anyone to purchase these. Plus, you could probably buy about 9 or 10 of my lights for the price of LOR's light. Just another option...

Any update??? I have a few ideas for some new Halloween props that this would work great on.

Daryl B.

Greg,

Great job!!! I'm interested in your LED flood set-up there. Keep us posted and hopefully I don't over look any posts on this.

Thanks a bunch.

So with a LOR DC Board being fed by say a PC power supply feeding the DC Board with 12 volts could you run these lights off of the LOR DC Board?

Does that make sense

PC Power supply -------> LOR DC Board -----> These awesome light strips?

And another question how is each colour addressed on the DC Board in LOR?

Just curious. I may want some of these now too....

Cheers
Evan

Hi everyone...sorry I didn't see these posts before.

Here is the deal. I currently have two products that I will be releasing. The LED FloodStrip is complete, just need to get orders and order the PCBs. The other project is much more advanced and VERY impressive. That should be finished by the end of this week, early next week. I was going to release these two at the same time, to help save on shipping for people who are interested. Also, I was going to release these AFTER the LOR sale. I don't want to detract from anything that LOR is doing.

With that being said, both of the products I will be releasing WILL be controllable by the LOR DC controller. In the video, there are actually two DC controllers in that black box. That is just how I wired up my boxes, but you won't need to do that.

Currently, with the LOR software you will need to put 3 channels in the SE. One channel red, one channel green and one channel blue. By varying the intensities of those channels will give you a different color. For instance, if you wanted purple, you would put 100% red, 0% green and 100% blue. When you receive these, there will be a manual that will show you what intensities get what color. Now, there are rumblings that LOR will be releasing a software update that will have a color picker. That will allow you to combine those 3 channels into one, select a color from a color selection box and place that color in the SE. I don't work for LOR so I can not guarantee when that will be released. That will make sequencing these lights MUCH easier.

You could also power the strips with a 12 volt DC wall wart, but be advised that when all 3 colors are on full intensity, the lights are completely white.

Like I said, keep an eye out after the LOR sale for how to purchase these. It is coming soon!!

Alright Greg, the LOR sale is over, It's now Tuesday July 21st, and we are waiting your news. You got some of us interested, we can't wait to see what you are offering. :D

Is this the place we should be looking to get the info or another place??

Thanks again for you work.

Tim

Boy oh boy you people are greedy...LOL

However I know how you feel.

The UPS truck is currently in transit to my house. I will solder up the "secret" device and hopefully get a video posted today. It will just be one unit, but by Thursday it will be a bunch of them. Keep checking this post. By Friday my new site will be up, the products will be posted and ordering can commence.

Just to give you an idea of how I am going to run this. I have designed a new website will all of the information, manuals and user guides for the two things that we have coming out. No matter what happens, I will be ordering a minimum of 100 of each of these designs. That means that the price you see is the lowest possible cost. It is in your best interest if you buy everything from me, not because I am greedy, but because when I order everything in a large quantity, the price goes down. Think of this as a modified COOP. I am making very, very, very little profit on these, something like 3 cents a unit. This is just fun for me and I thought it would be nice to add something to everyone's display that can be controller with LOR or d-Light hardware. Also be advised that once I have the order in, probably by the end of July, I will then place the order. You will have these by the middle of August the latest. Simply because of the way Paypal works, you are unfortunately going to have to pay full price for these a head of time, but I will get them to you ASAP!

Keep an eye on this topic today as I will post a video of the "secret" product later on tonight.

Thanks everyone for the interest!!