Light-O-Rama Forums

no comm port USB only

Guest guest

The computer that I would like to use with LOR dose not have any comm ports, only around 10 USB ports. what can I do? I tried to use a converter that I have, but it didn't work for me. any suggestions , please help if you can.

Dan, I get an error (8002) Invalid port number. While :excuting port open property. what can I do. The computer that I have LOR connected to sucks, what can I do to fix this problem.

10 usb ports and no com ports, what kind of computer is that? You could install a com card, they are very inexpensive and easy to install. Sounds like though you have the usb adapter you need to get that working. Maybe think about upgrading the computer during the summer too.:santa:

Bradley Measel wrote:

Dan, in the manual selection my choices are, none, and comm 3.

Bradley,

So when you tried to connect to comm 3 you get the 8002 error?

When there is not USB adaptor attached does Comm 3 go away?

Bradley Measel wrote:

Dan,

the comm 3 is still there when i take the adapter off. I get an (8012) error.

Bradley,

What that says to me is that the adaptor is not working correctly or the drivers are not installed properly. Every USB/Serial adaptor that I seen will create a new comm port when installed and that port will go away when it is removed.

When you say that that the Comm3 is still there when you take the adaptor off, make sure that you stop and restart the Hardware Utility after you take the adaptor off. The Hardware Utility only checks to see which comm ports exists when it is started. It will not notice changes in the number of comm ports while it is running.

Well either the adaptor isn't really working or the USB port is not really working. Do other USB devices work in that USB port. Is there any "Dong" when you plug the adaptor in to signifiy that a new USB device was detected?

Go into the control panel, then the "system
icon, then find the "device manager" and see if it's listed in the hardware list with a yellow exclamation point. That would indicate something is up with the driver. Windows doesn't have USB to serial drivers by default, so you'd definately have to load one. It should have came with a disc, but, if not, you can probably get it from the vendor's web site.