Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR In a Parade!

Guest guest

My guess is that there is a generator in the trailer. Running a laptop and stereo. Great idea, and simple enough that anyone could have done it first, but here it is for all of us to wish we would have set that bar ourselves.

Very cool display!!

cghargis wrote:

My guess is that there is a generator in the trailer. Running a laptop and stereo. Great idea, and simple enough that anyone could have done it first, but here it is for all of us to wish we would have set that bar ourselves.

Yep! Except you left out the fm transmiiter that broadcast to the other two company trucks that had speakers hanging out the windows.

Actually it was not simpe. I learned that with a generator I could not do any fading, so I had to go back through each sequence and take out the fading, other wise it messed the lights up bad. My brother and one of the guys that work for us was in charge of the parade. They did not take my advice and set it up early and test everything to find out what problems you might have. They believed everything would work out. Ha Ha! I knew better. I ended up doing most of the work. I hope/think they may have learned from this experience. Now that they have a whole year, I am leaving it up to them and will not bail them out again if they choose to put it off till the last minute. :)

I was involved with something similar a few years back> I think it was around Fall of 99. We had a homecoming float in college and we used a PLC to play music and activate some automated things and to shoot an air cannon. It was pretty cool and we got first place. Why else would a bunch of engineering students care about homecoming. We had a computer and generator in the back or the truck and all the action on the trailer. I wish we had video of it now. It would have been much easier to use LOR now that I think of it.

Chris

That is just too awesome.

This is only going to lead to escalation. You know that, don't you? LOR cars, LOR planes, LOR banners flying behind skywriting planes...

Dale W wrote:

Could you put this as a link on your website. I have some people I would like to show this to that are not members of this forum.

Maybe they need to become members? :]

darrylb wrote:

cghargis wrote:

Yep! Except you left out the fm transmiiter that broadcast to the other two company trucks that had speakers hanging out the windows.

Actually it was not simpe. I learned that with a generator I could not do any fading, so I had to go back through each sequence and take out the fading, other wise it messed the lights up bad. My brother and one of the guys that work for us was in charge of the parade. They did not take my advice and set it up early and test everything to find out what problems you might have. They believed everything would work out. Ha Ha! I knew better. I ended up doing most of the work. I hope/think they may have learned from this experience. Now that they have a whole year, I am leaving it up to them and will not bail them out again if they choose to put it off till the last minute. :)
Oops, didn't realize there was a transmitter. Had no idea you couldn't dim using a generator either. But It is still a very cool display. Great job on it!!

I love being a part of this crowd. A truly great group of guys, each more insane than the last. :]

Seriously, Darryl, that gives me chills. Very ingenious.

cghargis wrote:

darrylb wrote:
cghargis wrote:
Oops, didn't realize there was a transmitter. Had no idea you couldn't dim using a generator either. But It is still a very cool display. Great job on it!!

Not sure I would rule out whether a generator does not work with fading. We were at our max in amps and did not have time to get another for testing. My brother choose to buy one rather then rent. I would prefer to rent.

Always keep in mind, any major project you do, needs to be tested far in advance. If you down have any problems, that year then the next year is going to be much easier.