Light-O-Rama Forums

PCI Max fm transmitter card

Linda

Has anyone used the PCi Max transmitter card? I can't find out what kind of range they have, but it sounds like they have the capability of pretty good range and a wide selection of frequencies.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linda

• sjmiller

• GalenInTn

• Tim

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the 2005 and love it

has GREAT distance...i went about 4000 feet away (figured that out by looking at a map and getting the distance) turned on my station and it came it...albeit VERY weak and staticy but still got it...just make sure you use a DEAD channel that has NOTHING on it whatsoever so the FCC wont bug you cuz of complaints

I was reading that I'll need a radio receiver also if I get this. Do you know what kind, how much they start at, and how to hook one up? I know nothing about electronics but I think one of my sons could get it all hooked up if I knew what all I needed. Thanks

I also have a PCI Max transmitter and I also love it as well. It came with a small antenna which worked "ok" at best. It got me through the first year and only covered the front of my house in distance. Then the second year I bought a larger antenna and it covered quite a few blocks in our neighborhood. Maybe a little to much power for what I need, but it's not blocking any other station so I'm not worried about it.

As far as a radio reciever...I'm not so sure. All I did was purchase the MCI card, install it in my tower, connect the antenna and start the software and it worked. I didn't purchase anything else to make it work (other than the larger antenna later). Maybe someone else knows about this, but I don't think you need one.

Tim

Wonderful! That's good to know. I have a single story house. How tall of an antenna do you think I'd need? I guess I could go through ceiling and to the attic with it if it needs to be very tall. I got a Whole House transmitter and it transmits to my whole block, which is great with me, but from what I'm reading on the pci max I could get much more for my money from the one I'm thinking about getting. I can get the PCI Max 2006 for around 80.00. Thanks

Well I went ahead and bought a PCI Max 2006. I can't wait to get it in and see what it can do. My son has an antenna that may work so I can get better range. The main thing I liked about it is the big range or wide frequency range.

Linda,

the only reason I can think of for the receiver is to monitor the quality of the transmittion. So, any FM receiver from a little sports radio like a MP3 player with FM receiver built in to the home stereo should do.

Looks like I need to check this unit out. I am still looking myself. Was thinking of one of the EDM units, but this might be a better device. Although the draw back is that it would not be modular. Meaning that I cant just use it with lets say a home stereo or a stand alone MP3 player.

Max

I was just searching for more info myself. I bought mine, the PCI Max 2006, on ebay and paid 81.00 (new) for it which included the shipping. The 2007 cards start a 129.00. You might check ebay out. They still have 3 left and it's a "buy it now". You might also want to compare both the 2006 and 2007 models before you decide. I'm sending the link to the page where I've been reading up on the 2007 model. I liked the price of the 2006 and am going to try a larger antenna like Tim suggested if need be.

https://www.pcs-electronics.com/2007-stereo-transmitter-card-p-968.html

Congrats on your purchase! You'll love it! Now, you just need to be careful on how far you broadcast and not to interfere with any other licensed channels. I actually got a hold of a guy in Chicago who helped me with picking out the right antenna and the correct cables to go with it. I put mine in my attic, since I live in a ranch style house, and ran the cable to my computer. Main thing is just make sure you're not interferring with anything that is licensed. Good luck and enjoy!

Tim

I have a one story house too and would need to put mine in the attic as well. Do you remember what kind of antenna and cables you got? The person I bought mine from told me I needed a "F type connector" fitted to the cable, but didn't say anything about what kind of cable or antenna. :(

I received my PCI Max card, got it installed and just finished trying it out. I'm broadcasting TWICE the distance with it as I can the Whole House transmitter just using the little antenna that came with it. Imagine what it'll do with a real antenna!!!! No regrets on this purchase.....:)

Here are the specs on the 2006 model that I got.

SPECIFICATIONS
- RF Output Power: 0 to to 1000mW max (depending on model, varies from sample to sample)
- RF power adjustment: In Windows; Slider, in standalone mode; LCD digital control
- Output connector: F
- Output Impedance: 50 Ohms
- Frequency Range: 87.5-108MHz
- PLL Steps: 50KHz
- Frequency stability: +/- 100Hz
- Spurious rejection: -70dB
- Harmonic rejection: -50dB
- Power Supply: Internal from PC or external 12-15V/1A
- Quartz Locked PLL Frequency Control
- Ultra Stable Output
- Audio performance: Less than 0.01% distortion, 30Hz-15KHz
- Stereo channel separation: >45dB
- Audio processing: Limiter, pre-emphasis, low pass filter
- Built-in balanced audio inputs and MPX filter

Congrats Linda! I knew you would like it!! Once you get the antenna you'll get a ton of distance, but again, just be smart/legal. Enjoy!

Tim

I'm sending the link to the web site. They have many different options. You might compare them with the price of the Ramsey. If I hadn't found this particular one for the price I got it for I think I would have had a hard time deciding on this or the Ramsey transmitter.

http://www.pcs-electronics.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Linda,

I bought the same card last week. I'm hoping to get it in the next week or so. I was wondering if you could send me the antenna info son I can start working on the next step.

Thanks,

G

I've read a lot about the different antenna types but I don't understand the terminology so will probably go with the wire antenna that came with it. I doubled the length of the wire and can get about a two block radius which if very clear using it that way and that's plenty for me. However, if you do get or build one or buy one I'd like to know what kind of range you get and how you built the antenna or which one you bought. The manual did not come with my card (I bought it on ebay) but I found it and am enclosing it for you. I bought the 2006 model but the software for the 2006 didn't work for me. I'm using the software for the 2005 model. The 2007 software is also compatible from what I've read on the PCI max forum, but I'm not gonna try to fix what's not broken so I'm sticking with what I already have installed. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.rf-kits.com/software/Manuals/manual_pcimax2006_en.pdf