Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree support

randy huber

I have heard of many using telescopic flag pole. I also read about the pvc. I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with the pvc cracking with the cold. I also would like to know how everyone supports the tree. I know the pole will need supported but what about the lights themselves?

randy huber wrote:

I have heard of many using telescopic flag pole. I also read about the pvc. I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with the pvc cracking with the cold. I also would like to know how everyone supports the tree. I know the pole will need supported but what about the lights themselves?

I don't know what your setup looks like, but I hang my trees from a 1/4" steel wire suspended between 2 trees in my yard. You can check my web page (below) for construction info.

D.T.

randy huber wrote:

Randy I have used a telescoping flag pole for several years (the cheap Harbor Freight one) with 64 strings of 50 count C6 LEDs. I do use guy wires and the pole is in an 18 inch sleeve cemented in the ground.

I also have another 10 foot "megatree" made with 3 inch PVC pipe holding 32 strings of 50 count doubled M6 LEDs. The cold (where I live, a day or so of maybe upper 20's but mostly mid 30's) has not effected the 3 inch pvc pipe. This tree is set over a 6 foot fence post and no guy wires.

I have seen postings from others in the colder climates where 1 1/2 and even 2 inch pvc has failed, but I have no personal experience with failures.

Randy

I use a Sun Setter pole and it is is in a sleeve that I cemented into the ground, using 360lbs of fiber reinforced concrete along with 4' x1/2"rebar hammered inro the ground. Each of the thirty strands of lights (led 70ct ) is attached to a 3/32" piece of aircraft cable which in turn is staked into the ground.

Though this may sound like overkill, we experience wind events with gusts exceeding 70mph. I have already had the wind rip 3/4s of all the lights out of the ground. PVC is not practical for us, because we do get temperatures below freezing frequently in the winter.( I did have an arch crack last year)

Chris -in SoCal