Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Linda

I just bought a Whole House Transmitter but haven't got it in yet to test it. I want to be able to transmit at least a block. I know it says it only transmits 150 feet but that some have got it to go further than that. I visited a display last year that transmitted about three blocks and was really clear, but I don't have the kind of money it takes to buy one of those. It was a Ramsey I think. I rigged up a little Belkin like I had seen suggested and can only get about two houses on either side of me. :) If that's the best this Whole House one will do I may as well get a refund. Is the Whole House capable of better than 150 feet with an antenna maybe? Thanks for any suggestions. I'm a newbie too.

It seems as if the range depends a lot on the area and the radio activity in the area. The range can be increased somewhat by increasing the length of the antenna. If you do increase the length you need to exactly double the lenght. Shorter or longer will potentially shorten the range. The antenna is "tuned" to the frequency range.

Legal transmitters simply do not have much range as per FCC regulations.

Dan

Thank you. I didn't know it mattered how long the antenna was, but if I need to lengthen it I'll be sure to remember that. Do you have any idea when the 2008 contest winner's videos will be available for viewing on the LOR website? I'm just now getting aquainted with my new 16 channel controller and hope I'm up to the challenge of being able to create my own show. I know I'm way ahead of myself but was wondering why the sound in some videos are better than others and what's the best way to get good sound when taping the show. Do I need to use outside speakers or is it all in the quality of the camera one uses?

Linda wrote:

Thank you. I didn't know it mattered how long the antenna was, but if I need to lengthen it I'll be sure to remember that. Do you have any idea when the 2008 contest winner's videos will be available for viewing on the LOR website? I'm just now getting aquainted with my new 16 channel controller and hope I'm up to the challenge of being able to create my own show. I know I'm way ahead of myself but was wondering why the sound in some videos are better than others and what's the best way to get good sound when taping the show. Do I need to use outside speakers or is it all in the quality of the camera one uses?

We have been very derelict when it comes to posting the videos. We will get them posted soon.

Videos with the best should have the sound added into the video after they make it. Using video editing tools you can add a sound track. Others plug an audio source (for example an FM receiver) directly into the camera. You can get pretty good sound by keeping the camera close to a speaker.

I wondered if some people added the sound afterward. There's something else I need to learn how to do. I better get busy. I only have eight more months to go!!!!! I'm so glad this site is available to those of us who don't quite know what we're doing yet. Thanks again. I've watched the "how to" videos over and over again on the LOR site and they're very helpful. I know I can do this with the wealth of information available to me from the LOR site and the nice folks here. Thanks again

I got my Whole House transmitter in and tried it out. I doubled the antenna length and can get to both ends of my block and am pleased with that. I plugged the transmitter in to the speaker jack on the computer. Is there any way I can have that plugged in and still hear the music playing on the computer?

Hi Linda,

Go to Radio Shack and get a "y" splitter. Then you can put the Whole House transmitter on one leg and your amplified computer speakers on the other leg.

Max

Doirche wrote:

Plug the FM Transmitter into the "Line Out" jack on the computer, not the "Speaker" jack. That way you can still hear the music on the computer :P

There is only one little problem with this suggestion, possible. It all depends on a few factors, 1) what is the impedence input of the Whole House Transmitter, and 2) what is the impedence output of the Line Out jack. If they are not both 8 ohms or 1K ohms, then you will induce a impedence mismatch and distort the audio quality. Linda you need to read the specks of both devices and decide from that. Or listen to the quality of the audio transmitted and decide witch gives the best quality of audio.

Max

The quality of the transmitter audio is great. I think I'm gonna keep it simple and go with your suggestion and get a y splitter. Thanks

Max-Paul wrote:

Doirche wrote:
Plug the FM Transmitter into the "Line Out" jack on the computer, not the "Speaker" jack. That way you can still hear the music on the computer :P

There is only one little problem with this suggestion, possible. It all depends on a few factors, 1) what is the impedence input of the Whole House Transmitter, and 2) what is the impedence output of the Line Out jack. If they are not both 8 ohms or 1K ohms, then you will induce a impedence mismatch and distort the audio quality. Linda you need to read the specks of both devices and decide from that. Or listen to the quality of the audio transmitted and decide witch gives the best quality of audio.

Max
I have the "Whole House Transmitter" and an Acer laptop and it works great. The reason I suggested using the "line out" jack is because she wanted to hear the music on the computer, not a different amplified source. I know on my laptop if something is connected to the "headphone out" jack, I cannot hear the music on the laptop. At least that is how I understood what she asked. Not trying to give anyone bad advice.. :)

doirche, not saying that your advice would not work. Just saying that depending on the equipment (which I do not know the specs.) there could be a problem with the quality of the audio doing this "Line out" jack. And I was just pointing out that there is a potential problem.

Then too what you suggested could very well have worked. Hence the last of my post said to try it out and check the quality of the audio..

max

I have two rows of jacks on the back of my computer and two jacks on the front. One of the jacks on the front is pink and the other one is green. I think the grey, orange and black jacks are for surround sound. The green one is where I plug my speakers (and the one I had to use for the transmitter). One of the other ones is the line in and the mic jacks. I tried the speakers in all of these jacks and can't get sound from the speakers in any of them except the speaker jack (green one) in the back. I don't know which jack you're referring to. I don't have one that says "line out".

Attached files 175042=10013-P5Q_back.jpg

Some computers have a line or aux output jack. These are used for connecting your computer to a mixer/amplifier, etc. From the picture you posted, it does not look like your computer has one.

Using a Y-adapter will suit you fine, as long as you have external powered speakers.