Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree

randy huber

randy huber wrote:

i am looking for the best way to build a 20 ft mega tree that will withstand the elements

Hard to say what would be the best way for you! Where are you and what kind of elements does it need to withstand?

I'm sure many of us design our trees to withstand the elements that are unique to our location. My tree design does not need to withstand earthquakes, or heavy ice and snow loads. The highest wind gusts I receive during the Christmas season are 45-50 mph.

Many others may have to plan for the above, and other things.

If you listed a location or geographic area, I'm sure you could receive suggestions of what design considerations would be best for your location.

I must agree with John -

My mega tree may be overkill for many people, but I live in an area with earthquakes and with Santa Ana winds exceding 70mph.

Also - what are you looking to do? how many strands?/ channels?/ colors?/ etc

does it need to be removable, or can it be permanant?

any other details as to what you might want would be helpful, as we all have a different way to do the same thing for our own situations.

I live in central IL. The weather here goes from 60s and calm to # inches of ice and a foot of snow with winds 50 mph. I just want to have something sturdy that can withstand the wind and ice. i am going to use 16 to 32 channels. I am not sure how many strands though

Randy,

Thanks for updating the information about your climate. I (and probably Dr Jones) will refrain from offering any specific advise, since our situations are entirely different.

While there are many dozens of ways to build a megatree, and most designs are very similar, I'm sure some of the "Northern Midwest" members may have some tips and techniques that help their trees survive the extra weight of the ice, snow and winds you experience.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post some pictures