Light-O-Rama Forums

saving sequences to cd?

gail bell

hi everyone , well guess i'm hooked , i just got lor software about 2 weeks ago and already got 5 sequences done for 16 channels, but am worried about computer crashing , and wondering how to save it to cd , and be able to pull them offthe cd, if need be ?any tricks to this ? and if anyone would like to share a few sequences ,i counld use the , and thanks to everyone , this is going to be a great journey,

Copying your sequences to CD is no different than copying any other files to CD.

I would recommend using a CDRW and just copy the sequences folder to it on a regular basis. You may also want to copy the Audio files.

Personally I use a flash memory stick to keep mine backed up. I find it easier than a CD.

thanks as i add more controlers i'll save them as i get done with them, just got my 6th sequence done a few mins ago, do you know of anyone that has leapping arches sequences ? not sure how to do them yet , thank so much for the help, gail

I agree with Brian. I also use a USB flash memory stick. Much easier than a CD and much easier to drop in a pocket and carry around. I use a 2-gig model and it has plenty of room for both the sequences and music files.

gail bell wrote:

thanks as i add more controlers i'll save them as i get done with them, just got my 6th sequence done a few mins ago, do you know of anyone that has leapping arches sequences ? not sure how to do them yet , thank so much for the help, gail

Gail,

I hope that you get the email I sent you with the LAS file, animation, on arches. Look at it and you can get some ideas of what you would like to do. I myself was a newbie :shock: last year and so many people posted ideas or links that will help you this year. Save up cause you will go bigger next year.:( PM me if the file does not go through.

gail bell wrote:

Gail,

I hope that you get the email I sent you with the LAS file, animation, on arches. Look at it and you can get some ideas of what you would like to do. I myself was a newbie :shock: last year and so many people posted ideas or links that will help you this year. Save up cause you will go bigger next year.:( PM me if the file does not go through.

Attached files ac302281Leaping_Fountains_1.las

Jeff, just had it happen about 2 months ago, I thought I was having problems with my computer so I went to download all my stuff to flash drives. I was in the process of downloading to the flash drive and poof, the drive quit working, quit showing on the computer, just disappeared from existence. 7 to 8gb of lost stuff, got a quote from Staples for $379.00 to capture the info off the drive. There are other people who will try to get the info cheaper, I just have to decide if the info is worth that kind of money. Out of 6 drives, from 64mb to 16gb, that was the first one I have EVER had fail.

I do the same as most, back up on CD (for permanent storage) flash drive for current year sequences, and an external hard drive... My philosphy is the more you back up the safer you are.

Everyone is right on with making multiple backups. One key to this method is to make sure you keep one of the copies somewhere else... a friend or relative's house, at the office, just somewhere away from where your machine and the rest of your copies are. God forbid some catastrophic loss occurs at your house (think fire...), at least you don't have to start from scratch when you start putting things back together.

D.T.

I back up my sequences on two flash drives and on another computer in the house.

Better safe, then sorry.

I purchase an extra Seagate brand hard drive that is as large or larger than the OS drive. I then use the DiskWizard tools from Seagate that is free to clone the whole drive on a regular basis. In the event of a failure you can flip the primary drive in the BIOS and your back in operation with little to no effort.

I also use Jump drives for individual files. Now this isn't a plug for Seagate or any other drive company. The software works well and it's free. Under the name the software is Acronis True Image (in basic form).

Find out more here.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

you pc will crash...

losing your sequences and audio file is not fun.
even with that, the best way i found and seen is have an external hard drive with all you lor programs.
should you have too ( and will) reformat you pc, it's nice to know everything you've done is saved out side of that.

do a search and see how many people lost their enire files.

ok, thanks, does anyone have a sample of sequencing arches? i tryed last night but it didn't look right , do you have to make them in automation instead of musical ? if so , can i add it to my musical sequences ? thanks

ok, thanks, does anyone have a sample of sequencing arches? i tryed last night but it didn't look right , do you have to make them in automation instead of musical ? if so , can i add it to my musical sequences ? thanks

evana wrote:

you pc will crash...

do a search and see how many people lost their enire files.

Been there last year.....had to do them over again, so I started over but this time I did save them to a CD and thank God I did because I lost my work again excepted I pushed the wrong button (delete instead of save).

The CD saved me more do over.

This year I bought an external hard drive and I already saved my files, but it is time to do it again. Of course you can use Window's Live SkyDive to save your files I seen a few people put there sequences on there.

Jeff, I think memory loss on USB flash drives is rare. However, I have had three stop working and all were due to the same problem. The weak link in a USB flash drive is the USB connector. If you are not careful and happen to bump the drive while it is plugged into your computer you can do anything from ripping the connector off the flash drive, to cracking the copper traces, or luckout and do no damage. I was fortunate to be able to repair two of the drives by taking them apart and re-soldering the connector / traces.

On your CD that lost data and had no scratches: How was the CD labeled? Did you use a marker to write a label on it? For long term data integrity you should use a marking pen made specifically for writing on CD/DVD's. They have fast drying inks and plastic friendly solvents. A regular marker has solvents that can soften the plastic and carry the marker pigment too deep into the CD/DVD plastic and overtime can lead to data loss. Sharpie sell a special marker made for writing on CD/DVD disks.

Cheers