Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem With Chauvet Inimidator Spot DMX 680 Moving Yoke

Glyn Holland

Ok I decided to take the plunge and buy a DMX spot light. It is used and I got it off Ebay. It is a Chauvet Inimidator Spot DMX 680 Moving Yoke. I got the light yesterday but I think there is a problem with it.

Since I don't know anything about the dmx lights and wanted to start learning I looked up the manual on line at http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/dmx-680_ug-139.pdf

and read it.

Here is my porblem. When I flip the power button on the yoke and head turn and spin to one side then make a clicking noise like it has reached as far as it will go to the side and stops but keeps clicking like it is trying to keep going. I turned it off quickly so it maybe wouldn't mess it up anymore if there is something wrong with it. The led display shows the fixture reset code when powered up.

Does it sound like the unit has a problem or does it need to get a DMX signal to work right?

Glyn,

I have two of those spots also. That clicking bothered me at first too, but that is normal. (I also have an American DJ scanner that does the same thing.) It only happens when you first start the units up. I think it is just the system defining it's limits of travel and position, since the heads swivel freely when there is no power to them.

I have a Min Spot and it does the same thing. When the light first powers on it resets itself to its starting position...points the head down and puts all the DMX command values back to 0. This takes a few seconds (sometimes longer depending on where the light was pointing) and then you are good too go.

Nothing to worry about.

That was it! I did just what ya'll said.I just never let it run long enough to finish its reset. Looks like it should work ok. Now to play with it. Thanks alot guys.

Yeah, your fine. I have two Intimidator 2.0 scanners and they both do that when you first power them on.

• 2 weeks later...

Its called "homing", the lights need to just make sure they reach their stopping point so when you "Focus" the light, it'll actually be at the same place every time.

If you listen your gobo and color do this too to find their "Open location"

• The topic was locked