Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Snow Fall Meteor Tubes

Vic Fortenbach

One new ides for Christmas 2009 may be the LED Snow falling Meteor tubes.

These tubes are about 1 ½ inch in diameter and range in length from about 1 ½ to 4 feet. Inside the tube are some closely spaced white LEDs mounted on a long circuit board. The LEDs sequence or move in a downward direction to create the look of falling snow.

These tubes resemble a vertical leaping arch, only smaller with LEDs.

So far the tubes operate in a standalone mode, which means you can only control the on/off function. No dimming, twinkle or other effects.

Galaxia has the capability of creating this look with their system, you can see them hanging in a tree on the owners YouTube video. The Galaxia version is not contained in a tube.

There is talk about these on PlanetChristmas chat room.

There is also a group buy, videos and more information here on these tubes.

There are at least one vendor that sell these tubes off the shelf, a bit pricy, but the look is very cool.

What do you think, are they pretty cool or not? To get a good effect of falling snow, I think 3-5 or more tubes should be combined in a tree or hanging from a house eve.

I want to get in on the group buy, but I want to get LOR users opinion first.

Youtube link does not work. Says URL contains malformed video. I would actually like to see these in action.

Just watched video on the group buy website. Interesting effect. Any way to speed up or slow down the fall rate?

That was one of the features I wish the meteor tube had.

Here is the correct link to the Galaxia owners You Tube video: