• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• toddmoon

• jerrymac

• JTowbin

• Rick Hoffman

I used a plywood sheet and cut it out jig saw after I drew it out. I painted it with a oil based paint you normally use for sealing floors with. It took forever for the paint to cure but it was worth the wait.

I will work on a video in the next week or so. I am also a pyrotechnician so I have the 4th of July fireworks show to setup this week so it will be next week before I can get back to doing anything else with my display. Maybe next year I will add some drums to the show.

• 5 weeks later...

It took me forever but I finally got the video done. You tube disabled the audio on one of the videos. They are both the same. One is earlier in the evening and the second one is later in the evening when it is darker. The later one the audio is disabled.

I will have to see if I can find the time to load onto Vimeo.

I might be a little late in posting my display, but here it is:

I built the flag from a kit I got online, it was pretty easy to make. I just had some trouble getting it started since this was my first display.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now planning my Christmas program. I am now thinking that at the very end of my Christmas program I will use some or maybe all of my summer rock sequences as fillers or late night programming.

How many of you out there stick to just a Christmas theme for your Christmas shows?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Check out http://www.holidaycoro.com . 2 different flag sizes available 23 X 36 and 48 X 74.

You can't beat the quality and the price is well worth the savings in labor and materials. I purchased 2 of the smaller and one of the large size for my display this year. Attached is pics of the smaller flag.

Last year I made a six foot flag from plywood and 2 X 4 populated with rope light. It weighed a TON.

Attached files 201717=11220-36-inch-flag-lit.JPG

This is on coro board. The holes are pre-drilled, All you have to do is paint and put in the lights and make a frame (paint with plastic paint). It took me abount 30 minutes to put in the lights. complete with a 2X2 wood frame and all the lights weighs about 20-25 lbs.

• 1 month later...

I have had several people ask me for more detail on the guitar that I made.

I used an 8 foot long plywood sheet and used a template that I printed out on a print plotter to draw out the guitar and then use it as an outline to paint the elements to it. Free hand drawing is not my thing but I can copy things very well. I used oil based floor paint which takes a very long time to dry and setup up. This type of paint makes it very weather proof and durable once it is cured.

I drilled out all of the holes by hand. One thing I did learn is it is better to drill all of your holes before you paint it. After the paint was dried out I installed the lights. I used a tapered bit on the back of the guitar to set the lights tight into the back. The base of the guitar I used 200 count incandescent lights. For the guitar strings I used LED 70 count lights. The guitar uses a total of 5 channels. If you wanted to sequence the music to the note positions and you have the channels to do it you could have the note positions light up on the string position. It was a lot of work and it has been fun to have. The whole guitar was totally custom made and painted there were no rules or guides for it I just had an idea in my head and made it from there. From top to bottom the guitar is 8 feet tall. The base itself is 3 feet wide. Each one of the strings is 2 inches wide for a total of 10 inches in width. I used Red, White and Blue for the colors and I just freelanced the Stars and Bars to get the flag effect.

Attached files guitar down.pdf

I am planning at least a 5 song tribute to the men & women of the armed forces of Canada and I am doing it for December.

I am also working on a after Christmas show too. Between December 26th to Jan.1st.

The reason for a Tribute is to "Support the Troops" but many soldiers will not home for Christmas and will be on a Peace Keeping Mission, or on the battlefield.

They cannot be home with family and friends because duty calls.

This is just one way I can be thankful to the soldiers for the freedom I enjoy.

Anyhow Todd you could use your show in December as well (great after Christmas show).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tony,
I am doing a July 4th display and would like to know if you would share your sequence for the Aaron Tippin song? I have a similar setup to what you are using.
thanks
Rick