Light-O-Rama Forums

first try at dmx

ken collins

So, last night I had the first opportunity to play with a new blue ray laser. I know my idmx was working correctly. (solid light), was in the default (EO), All the correct buttons pushed in HWU. I had control of this thing, but did not follow the program code in the manual. I had to have chnl 1 slide control set to 50% to get any other action from the other sliders. And chnl 2 didn't work at all. Did not have this unit terminated. I've got extra cables, so was going to swap out tonight, but thought I'd throw this out here and see if anybody has any ideas.

Zman, was going to call you, but thought I'd post it here, someone else might have the same problem in the future.

Some DMX fixtures run just as well as LOR without terminators, and others absolutely require it. There may also be another channel that needs to be set before you get the expected action out of the unit as well. For example, in/out of sound active mode... Also check your DMX polarity switch, and possibly try it reversed..

Thanks klb, I did try last night in-out of sound active, and messed around with some of the other stuff. Will try a terminator and cable swap tonight, and go over everything else I did last night. I was out fiber glassing some of those concrete paper round forms to use for waterproof housing for some of my fixtures. Might have been over fumed.... That and I was one bud wiser when I started that project...

Ken, I have been in SoCal all weekend working around my moms house. I don't recall if you send me the model info, I could then check out the manual on your unit. I don't have access to the home email account to check.

KLB is right, sometimes one channel is a dimmer, so it needs to be on before the fixture lights up. It sounds like your Hardware Editor is communicating to it. If termination does not make it behave, you may have a bad unit. From all I have researched, some say termination is overrated, but also the first thing to check if funny things are happening. I ran with it and had no problems last year. Wirekat ran without it and had no problems last year.

One thing I did when I started playing around with DMX, is get a Chauvet controller. That way I could test lights without having to rely on my computer and the LOR HE. It also provides a sanity check when things don't behave as expected.

Thanks Mark.. Both you and KLB were right, did have to have another channel set. I forgot, you gotta read Chinese right to left... Thanks for your help. I was outside playing it off some trees, trying to set parameters if I have to take off this week. That way I could take it on the boat with me and play with some programing.

Ken,

Since your problem has been resolved, I will direct this request to anyone else having DMX connectivity problems.

Please include a make and model of the unit which is not responding as you think it should. That way, the DMX guys who want to help can look the unit up, read the settings in the manual and get to the problem much faster.

There are many variations on how manufacturers set up their fixtures. Many of them are not even intuitive to those of us who work with DMX regularly, much less to someone who is tackling the protocol for the first time.

Charles

• The topic was locked