Light-O-Rama Forums

hardware issues

traveler911

I have attempted to get my controllers to work without success. I have tried updating my driver and it still does not work. Should I attempt to upgrade to S1 then S2, or do I have to resolve this before I upgrade?

On a side note... any suggestions. I have tried just about everything I can find.

I think it would be difficult for folks on here to help advise you on the next steps because there is little detail in the posting about exactly what the problem is. Can you elaborate some more on what is occuring?

In general, if you upgrade to the latest version there might be a better chance to resolve the problem. If not, then at least you will be at the software version level as most other people on this board. No, I don't think you need to resolve the driver problem first before upgrading.

To expand a little more on what Richard said...

What controllers are you using?(PC series, Showtime)

What adapter are you using?(USB, USB w/Boosters...)

What seems to be the problem?(Not powering up, no blinking LED...)

As much information as you can give will certainly help us help you.

I have 2 PC series controller. They are the "complete" package, therefore no soldering done by me. Just plug and play... or so I thought.

USB adapter

When I attempted to install the USB driver it installed fine, but would not recognize it when I plugged it in. I downloaded the newest driver from the website. I can get it to recognize when connected. The current problem is that I can "not find an open comm port". However my PC shows 2 are open.

The controller blinks red.

I haven't had a lot of free time to work on this all at once. I have a 2 week old son, therefore I am only able to plus away on the problem a few minutes here and there.

I know many people have had problems with getting the USB connector, but I have attempted to try what I have read.

Thanks for the attempting to help... I'm just frusterated and sleep deprived. Don't get me wrong, I know LOR is a get product. I just have to get it tweaked... and I realize that.

Kent

Ok, lets start with the simple stuff. When you open the HU, are you able to find a controller? Does the HU let you select a Comm port, or is that where you are getting the error? When you open the SE, does the LED go solid?

If the LED is blinking then your controller is working fine.

Have you unplugged some things from your computer that were once plugged into a USB port? For instance, sometimes when you take a printer out of a port, even though it is out, the computer still shows that Comm port as occupied. Chuck brought up over on PC, how X10 and home automation is really bad at this. Check your device manager and let it tell you which ports are open.

The hardware Utility does not allow me to select one. States they are all busy. Looking in device manager it currenlty states only com 1 and 3 are in use. I have rebooted the machine, following the microsoft guidelines. I currently do not have anything plugged into the laptop. When I do, it is just a digital camera from time to time.

The goal is, this will be my "work-on" computer, then I will move the shows to the show computer.

Now the sequence editor will not load. It had ran fine before. I will uninstall it, and reinstall in when I get off work Sunday morning.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Kent

traveler911 wrote:

I have attempted to get my controllers to work without success. I have tried updating my driver and it still does not work. Should I attempt to upgrade to S1 then S2, or do I have to resolve this before I upgrade?

On a side note... any suggestions. I have tried just about everything I can find.

Time out!

What software are you running? From above sounds like you either have the demo loaded (which does not support communication with the controllers). Or you might have an older S1 loaded. From what I have read, some of the earlier versions have "timed out" and no longer run. I believe in one of your later post you mentioned that SE is no longer working either. I think it is time for you to upgrade and pay for S2, if I understand everything I have read of your post here in this thread. Correct me if I am wrong.

Max

Max-Paul wrote

Time out!

What software are you running? From above sounds like you either have the demo loaded (which does not support communication with the controllers). Or you might have an older S1 loaded. From what I have read, some of the earlier versions have "timed out" and no longer run. I believe in one of your later post you mentioned that SE is no longer working either. I think it is time for you to upgrade and pay for S2, if I understand everything I have read of your post here in this thread. Correct me if I am wrong.

Max
I had the demo, but I uninstalled it after I received the CD. I believe it to be S1, but it was what ever came on the CD.

When I get off shift in the morning, I will uninstall all LOR software. Then reinstall everything, and attempt to upgrade to current versions. I was under the impression when I bought the software I was to get S2, but I will have to check into that.

What OS are you running?

I would leave the install running on your machine...which is usually 1.6.5...and install S2. I have found S2 is extremely stable and may fix the issues you are having.

I think I would have to agree with Ponddude. If you bought S1 then you should be good to go and install the upgrade to S2. I swear I am getting old, CRS more and more it seems. But I do not think you need anything else like a product key. Just download the upgrade and run the install.

There was several threads in the past month or so. About people coming into the forums saying that their SE no longer running. All of the people in the know told them that this or that version had some kind of drop dead date. Sounds like this is what happened to you. Everyone in the know told the poster to upgrade to S2 and seems that this was their fix.

Drop by tomorrow after the upgrade and let us know if you are good as gold.

Max

Hi all,
Well I reinstalled LOR, and upgraded to S2. That did not fix the problem. Now, when I attempt to run the seq editor it gives me a long error message.

You will not be able to control lights because of an error.
Open of serial port has failed
Error:(8002) Open of serial port has failed
Error:(8002) Com Port Error
Error:(8002) Com Port Error
Control of lights has been turned off on the Play Menu.

I then spent some time on computering.net
I'm using a laptop with com port according to the post.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/no-com-ports/81504.html

I'm still confused how I can find that com 1 and 3 are in use. I guess my hope for using the laptop to setup and sequence the shows just died. I will have to wait until I can finish pulling the old desktop out and get it setup. My question now is, how do others use a laptop with S2? or am I just the only one that runs into this problem?

Okay, after spending more time reading, and playing around I was able to make a few steps forward.

Plugging the the USB adapter kinda works.

Both the hardware utility and the sequencing utility are attempting to use Com 1. The device manager states it is using com 4. Com 1 and 3 are in use by something else.

Now, that the caffine is kicking in, and the baby is asleep.

any thought?

Eureka!

After spending more time tweaking anything, and everything. IT WORKS!

I would like to take a second to thank everyone for their assistance, including to but not limited to Pepsi cola bottling company... the makers of the Mountain Dew.

A nice cold can in my hands, and after the second sip, I had an epiphany.

after that is was game on.

Just remember...better living through modern chemistry.

Thanks again

Kent

The error messages is normal if you do not have the USB or serial port connected.

Go ahead and use the sequence editor and get your songs sequenced.