Light-O-Rama Forums

Minnesota Spring Mini,

Garry

Minnesota Spring Mini,

Anyone interested in coming to a mid Minnesota Spring Mini?

How about selecting either the weekend of May 2nd or May 9th?

We live out in rural Minnesota 10 miles from any towns and about 2 ¼ hour drive west and north of the twin cities, or about 3 hours from Sioux Falls South Dakota, and about 2 hours from Fargo North Dakota.

We do have work areas/buildings and we do live on/by a lake with no neighbors with in 1 mile in any direction. No skinny dipping as there is too many leaches in the lake. You can champ out here as we have about 5 acres at our home and a walk down the hill and go fishing in our lake if it did not winter kill the fish out this year.

We are open for ideas on classes on choreographing, LOR usage, working with music, wire-frame building, string lights, fixing light strings?

I have a complete welding, machining, and woodworking shop with a lot of equipment: stick and MIG welders, plasma cutting torch, abrasive cutting saw, radial arm saw, table saw, drill presses, TAIG CNC 4 axe mill, CNC router, 4 metal laths, 2 vertical Mills, 1 wood lathe, oxy-acetylene torch, 55 ton Ironworker, arch winder for winding lights around pipe, many computers, DSL WIFI, & etc..

At my office I have a full Electronics Lab with Soldering stations, Oscilloscopes, bread boards, and 1000’s of different chips, resistors, capacitors, & etc. So there is nothing that could not be made, just bring your ideas, your computer, some food, drink, & steel/wood along if you want to make something or tell me what you need so I can order it.

Garry & Georgia

Sounds like a great idea! I've been hoping someone would organize something like that close enough to attend. Thank you. Unfortunately, having said that, I'm not sure either of those weekends will work for me personally. I won't know for sure until sometime in late April, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

George

MN mini update: long post,

Well the date is set for the Mini and it will be Saturday May 9th.

Start time will be after 8:30 AM as that is when we will have the coffee and donuts ready.

If you want to come up the night before and camp that is okay also, just let us know your plans are before hand.

There are a few Ma - Pa type Hotels about 9 miles away.

We are planning on the Mini going all day Saturday and into the evening or when ever??

I know that is Mothers day weekend, but the Mini is on Saturday and Mothers day is on Sunday.

Hey, I worked it out here!

Maybe it will be warmer on the May 9th and NO more snow!!

So far we will have planned with no particular schedule:

Welding 101, - bring what you want welded (steel only).

Plasma cutting 101, - bring what you want cut.

Metal bending 101, - bring what you want bent.

(Note about metal working: Wear closed toe leather shoes, safety glassed, leather gloves, cotton pants, long sleeve shirts, and NO synthetic cloths as they catch fire!)

Soldering when and where needed,

New LED lighting products demonstration, Travis I hope you still can attend?

2 - LED Arches side by side for comparison of LOR/Renard24, or practicing sequencing/choreographing.

I will have 1 laptop computer with LOR on it, so if you need a computer with other software on it please brings it along.

I do have WI-FI on site so if you need to surf the web you can.

I can show you my progress on mounting/wiring of 16 more LOR boards into large panels, the 24-Fire Stick wall I am planning, and a new Marty type Fan for next year.

I am working on a waving LED lighted Fire Sticks to emulate waving water spouting fountains,- HELP!

I am rebuilding my CNC router table so I do not know if it will be finished in time for pattern cutting?

Does someone want to talk about Show Choreographing please step up, I need all the help I can get.

Jam sessions on any and everything it’s your call, or just talking about holiday decorating.

Bring along your photos and videos.

I will have some work tables available for setting up things for show and tell or working on.

Any more ideas on projects please speak up?

Just let us know what you need or want?

Now I can not promise to deliver on every request, but I will try!!

Please; could everyone RSVP so I have an idea as to how much food and drinks we need to have for lunch & dinner for those attending?

Donations will be appreciated.

Hope to see you there,

Garry & Georgia

Direction: Find Belgrade, MN 56312, it is on Hwy 55 and US Hwy 71. Go south out of Belgrade on US Hwy 71 for about 4 ½ miles, look for cty road 34 which goes west/right, stay on cty road 34 for about 4 miles until you get to a STOP sign on cty road 34 and 5.Go diagonally across cty road 5 on to a dirt road (270th Ave), follow the dirt road for about 1 ½ miles over the hills, through the woods, and around a lake, we are on top of the hill, the right side/north between the road and lake with pine trees along the road in front of our home. Our address is 5840-270th Ave NW, Brooten, MN 56316. Our home phone number is 320-346-2899. Cell phones do not work well out here if at all.

• 2 weeks later...

As of today 4 have actually RSVP.

Another 4 said they will be coming but have not RSVP?

So I am asking please to RSVP if you plan to attend the Rural Minnesota Mini Saturday May 9th.

I will post this on most of the lighting forum again.

Garry

Minnesota Mini UPDATE:

Looks like we have 12 signed up and another 5 maybe’s attending the Minnesota Mini so far.

We still have room for a lot more to attend the mini.

I will need to have a cut off date of Wednesday May 6th so I can order the food and drinks.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Minnesota Mini,

I am sorry for not responding earlier but I did 2 open houses in 2 weeks, and that last one being vary large with training, schooling, practical knowledge, and hands on for hundreds of people attending and ending with a 1 hour Demo Fireworks display. That was a long day as it started at 6 AM and ended at 3:30 AM the next day. (I am getting to old for those late night activities!)

Thanks to all of you that attended the Central Minnesota Mini we both here had a great time doing it. I have learned from talking with everyone in attendance and have a few more new ideas from this Mini.

I am posting a few of the pictures. I do not have many pictures as I was to busy talking which I get accused of all the time.

Garry & Georgia

PS: I can not do anything about the cold weather and wind!

Attached files 175217=10032-100_1968.JPG

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your hospitality and the tour of your fireworks office. I was planning on stopping by for the fireworks demo show last weekend but other things came up and with it being cold and windy and such... oh well, my loss. Sharon wants to know how often you have a fireworks expo.

Thanks again for the hospitality. I hope Georgia got the ketchup stain out of the carpet.

George