Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing with and without tracks

Brad

I’m not sure whether to post this in Sequences or S2 software.

Is it just me or is it harder to sequence when using tracks than without. What I’m getting at is that when I used to sequence a song W/O tracks, I could stop the song with the space bar and enter a command/event, (on, fade, shimmer, you get the point), and then restart the song by hitting the space bar. I could quickly go throughout the length of the song adding commands/events. When I would review the song my timings for the commands/events may be off slightly at times but I could quickly adjust them.

Now that I’m using tracks it seems that after hitting the space bar to stop the song and entering the command/event, I have to scroll back several seconds and start the song from there so the sound and the timing can re-align. If I were to stop and start with the space bar and enter commands/events throughout the song (in one shot as I did W/O tracks), the commands/events would be way off when I replayed it.

Brad wrote:

Now that I’m using tracks it seems that after hitting the space bar to stop the song and entering the command/event, I have to scroll back several seconds and start the song from there so the sound and the timing can re-align. If I were to stop and start with the space bar and enter commands/events throughout the song (in one shot as I did W/O tracks), the commands/events would be way off when I replayed it.

Hmmmm, I don't seem to have that problem. Are you using MP3 file? The only time I recall having that problem in the past was when I used mp3 during editing. After shifting to wav files, I don't see that happening.

The problem is not the fact that the file is MP3, but the way the MP3 file is encoded. If you use an MP3 file that is encoded with VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding, you WILL encounter this problem. If you use an MP3 file that is encoded with CBR (Constant Big Rate) encoding, you will not have this problem, tracks or not.

A few tracks I got from Amazon are in VBR format, so what I did was load them up into audacity, and re-export them in CBR format -- timing/synchronization problem is gone.

Uh, I think some other folks are going to chime in about that statement. I used CBR MP3 and still had the timing problem. There are other threads about that on the forum. For me, it's easier to just forget about all the problems and use WAV files.

I will file this .wav trick away for future use if I encounter the issue. I've not run into it yet, but any hint that will save time and trouble is greatly appreciated....