Light-O-Rama Forums

Another compatible DIO (with *)

Guest guest

I've had the new LOR program since 11PM May 21st, and decided to see tonight what was inside this new software package. Expanded without a hitch. So, what to do with it? Throw in that old Dio card collecting dust and see what happens.

I appear to have some success having the LOR program control this 5660 ISA DIO board. I can turn on and off individual channels in the 1st bank of 8 outputs using the hardware utility.

The reason for the (*) is that Instical expects a port at base +6 and my board has a port at +3, where Instical doesn't. I'll probably loose either the third or the 6th bank of 8 outputs. The board works backward (High = Low; Low = High)and has very little source drive capacity. (It loads from +5 to +2 with a measly 270 ohm load and an LED. Probably can fix both problems with CMOS inverters / buffers on an interface board I'll have to make anyway if I use it. Hmm. Could also add boards at address 300 and 340, thus making 40x3 (120 channels).:shock:

I didn't expect this to 5660 board to work and had no plans to use it in the display. It's nice to see that sometimes things go right. I can now practice simple lighting sequences with it if I can find enough LED's.

Now about that leaky hot water handle in the hall bath.......

Good news!

There is a Bsoft DIO mode in LOR. I think that the way it works is that the board does not actually use the first 16 so you have to set the address in instacal to 0x10 or 16 higher than it actually is. ( I really cannot remember if it is 16 higher or 16 lower and I do not have the code with me ).

So try the Bsoft mode and you should get all of your ports to work. You will need to try 3 different address in instacal to see what works: ActualAddr, ActualAddr + 0x10, ActualAddr - 0x10...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the info. Sorry for the delay, but I'm just getting around to this project again. I checked the bsoft box and was able to control all six ports thru the hardware manager on bit 7 of each one and run the chase test. It used actual address.

With this success, I'll consider a little interface board for it and possibly use it!